Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX’s Method of Counting Days/Months Towards CLI

tag
CatsFaninLex
Established Member

AMEX’s Method of Counting Days/Months Towards CLI

I recently opened an AMEX card (8/13), with yesterday (11/11) being day 90, and today being day 91.  When I went to request the CLI through the desktop link, it told me I was still too new, so I called up customer service, who then routed me to a credit limit team.  According to him, I'm eligible for the CLI starting tomorrow, at day 92.  That also happens to be 11/13, and if you're counting MONTHS instead of days, 8/13-11/13 is three months.  Is it possible AMEX is counting months instead of days for CLIs, and that's the reason some people can't request CLIs at 91 days, but can at 100 days?  Just a thought.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX’s Method of Counting Days/Months Towards CLI

@CatsFaninLex  what was your starting limit and score when you were approved?

Message 2 of 9
CatsFaninLex
Established Member

@Remedios wrote:

748 on both Experian and TransUnion when I was approved.  $1000, but I have a new credit file.  My oldest credit card is only 6 months old.

Message 3 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CatsFaninLex wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

748 on both Experian and TransUnion when I was approved.  $1000, but I have a new credit file.  My oldest credit card is only 6 months old.

I think the reps were just saying things (not surprising - they're often misinformed). It's just basically been very YMMV as to whether you can ask for the 3x CLI at 61 or even 91 days.

But in your case, with your oldest card being a 6 month-old credit card and only a $1k limit (which indicates borderline approval BTW), you may very well have to wait 6 months if not a year for your first CLI. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 9
Antredd
Valued Member

I reported my CLI on a thread that I started. When I waited 91 days, AMEX didn't deny me. They just said that my account was too new. So I waited 6 months, and just asked for a 2X CLI and was approved. I didn't want to chance asking for 3x CLI. 

Message 5 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Antredd wrote:

I reported my CLI on a thread that I started. When I waited 91 days, AMEX didn't deny me. They just said that my account was too new. So I waited 6 months, and just asked for a 2X CLI and was approved. I didn't want to chance asking for 3x CLI. 

Just as a tip, you could've still gone for the 3x CLI - it's not all or nothing. If they're not comfortable with giving you the full 3x CLI, they'll counter with whatever they ARE comfortable giving you. Smiley Wink

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 9
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

@CatsFaninLex just went thru this myself - wait till day 103 and request 3x - obviously your results will vary but i had gotten the account to new message at day 61 and day 91 . at day 103 BAM success

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 7 of 9
CatsFaninLex
Established Member

Update:  I finally got the ability to request a CLI this morning, which is day 96 based on my counting.  So perhaps the magical number is after 95 days?

Increase was 3x my starting credit limit of $1000.

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

The OP has provided a CLI update which was approved and as such this thread is now locked + closed to new messages.

@CatsFaninLex - congrats on your American Express CLI 👍

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.