Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX - which card to start

tag
mykeys
Valued Member

AMEX - which card to start

Apply for AMEX Gold OR Delta Gold SkyMiles

I would like to get in the door with AMEX and curious if you all think I have a good chance of approval for either the Gold charge card or the Gold Delta SkyMiles card and which I might be more likely to be approved for.

Before really diving into the forums, I applied for the Blue Cash Everyday and was declined in April 2019. At that time, the score AMEX pulled was 633 (Chase SWA card really helped my available credit and overall scores) with the following reasons stated for the decline.

• You have a serious delinquency on one or more of your accounts.

• There are too few accounts currently paid as agreed.

• The length of time your accounts have been established.

• The ratio of loan balances to the loan amounts is too high.

Here are my stats. All of my current TLs are PIF every month. Let me know if more info would be helpful

Fico 8:

EQ 653

TU 654

Ex 681

TLs

Chase RapidRewards Plus (opened 4/19): $381 / $4000

CapOne Platinum Secured (opened 11/18): $0 / $501

NFCU cashRewards (opened 5/19 - not reported yet): $0 / $500

Synchronicity Amazon Prime (opened 2/19): $187 / $350

CapOne QS1 (opened 4/19): $0 / $300

VW Credit Auto Loan (opened 09/18): $14700 / $15999

BADDIES:

BoA Secured Card - opened 01/10 - closed 03/14 - paid off 03/19

People Energy (TU only) - opened 10/11 - closed 07/13 - charge off 09/16

Credit Cards:

Store Cards:

Installment Loans:

Scores 10/2018:
Scores 7/2019:
Scores 1/2021:
Scores 8/2021:

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX - which card to start

My first question is have you tried the Amex pre qualify website yet?
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a specific need or use for either of them?

There are other options that might work better than shooting for "gold" like the ED/EDP or BCE/BCP that tend to lead you down the path easier with Amex. Also, looking at your account dates it would seem a hiatus from apps might be beneficial to boosting your scores back up into territory where Amex will give you 10K instead of 1K approvals.

Message 3 of 19
nax
Regular Contributor

Personal Opinion here but you should be solid enough to get a pre qual. I was helping a friend the other day and had him check pre quals and the Delta popped up for him and your profice is pretty similar from what I see. I would check that as a first step.

Message 4 of 19
mykeys
Valued Member

I have tried the online prequal, nothing comes up. Also, I was denied for BCE in April. They pulled a 633 from EX at that time. When my Chase SWA card reported, the $4k CL helped bring my FICOs up quite a bit.

Credit Cards:

Store Cards:

Installment Loans:

Scores 10/2018:
Scores 7/2019:
Scores 1/2021:
Scores 8/2021:

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, April is a key piece of info here.  Depending on when you applied if you submit a 2nd app it would just get cancelled as a duplciate.  If you haven't already it would be a good idea to sign up for an Experian account and get your free Fico from there or the Discover Scorecard option works as well.  Make sure that your scores are up to par and then maybe June 1st apply again unless you want to call Amex and have them do a fresh pull on the exissting app if it's still within the 30 days.

Message 6 of 19
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

If you were just denied last month I would probably wait and let those new accounts at a a bit. That way you will have a better chance.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 19
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@mykeys wrote:
I would like to get in the door with AMEX and curious if you all think I have a good chance of approval for either the Gold charge card or the Gold Delta SkyMiles card and which I might be more likely to be approved for.

Here are my stats. All of my current TLs are PIF every month. Let me know if more info would be helpful

Fico 8:

EQ 653

TU 654

Ex 681

TLs

Chase RapidRewards Plus (opened 4/19): $381 / $4000

CapOne Platinum Secured (opened 11/18): $0 / $501

NFCU cashRewards (opened 5/19 - not reported yet): $0 / $500

Synchronicity Amazon Prime (opened 2/19): $187 / $350

CapOne QS1 (opened 4/19): $0 / $300

VW Credit Auto Loan (opened 09/18): $14700 / $15999

BADDIES:

BoA Secured Card - opened 01/10 - closed 03/14 - paid off 03/19

People Energy (TU only) - opened 10/11 - closed 07/13 - charge off 09/16

Hi and welcome to MyFICO

IMHO, I suggest holding off on applying because your credit profile is very thin and you have already opened 4 new acconts since February. That’s a lot. Any declines?

I suggest giving your cards time to age and not applying for anything else until your newest card ages to 6 months. Also, you dont want to spook Chase when they do a SP review.

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 19
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@mykeys wrote:

I have tried the online prequal, nothing comes up. Also, I was denied for BCE in April. They pulled a 633 from EX at that time. When my Chase SWA card reported, the $4k CL helped bring my FICOs up quite a bit.

Okay, you have answered my question about any declines. IMHO, I think you should garden. A decline is kind of like a prewarning to step back from applying. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed on gardening after that many approvals in such a short time, plus Chase being part of them.

You mentioned that you PIF every month. If that’s the case, you can move into AZEO easily, allow one card to report a balance each month, and pick up a few easy points for that. If all cards are PIF and reporting zero, you’re taking a FICO scoring penalty for “no revolving credit in use”.

Do that, chill until the end of the year, and you’ll likely be in a good place scorewise to reapproach Amex.

FYI, the cobranded cards like the Delta and Hilton offerings have the most lenient underwriting of all the cards in the Amex portfolio. Many people get them as their first Amex cards, myself included, as they grow their scores into the range that Amex wants for their core cards.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.