cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to go on a spree- is this an ok order for the applications?

tag
tricklemoo
Established Member

About to go on a spree- is this an ok order for the applications?

I last went on a spree just over a year ago and got three new cards (from three applications), and have since been gardening. I'm about to go on another spree, hoping to come out of it with 4 cards out of 6 applications max, then will garden again for 1 or 1.5 years.

I am especially interested in getting a card (but not necessarily a specific card- I'm open minded/flexible depending on what is offered) from: Discover, Citi, NFCU. I am also open to cards from Evergreen, Truist, Penfed. I have never applied for a credit card from any of these banks before, but I do have NFCU, Discover, and Penfed checking/savings that I opened about a year ago and use very lightly just to build a relationship. NOT interested in Chase, CapOne, USBank, or Amex direct (but dont mind cards that use the Amex system). Neutral about WellsFargo but lean towards not interested in a card from them at this time.

FICO is 730 for Experian/TU 

I have mail targetted preapprove/preselect offers for Discover, City, and Navy cards. 

Is this order ok:
Citi
Discover
Navy
Evergreen

Truist

Penfed

I'm not sure who pulls from what so if there is any way to be clever about incoorporating that into the order, or if anything should be moved? I have Citi first because I read before that they are inquiry and new account sensitive.
Any advice much appreciated! 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
mgood
Valued Contributor

Re: About to go on a spree- is this an ok order for the applications?

"Sprees" are generally advised against, until they are successful and then everyone congratulates you.

That said, I don't think "Evergreen" and "spree" belong in the same post, or in the same thought.

A lot of people got Evergreen cards with fairly hight starting limits. There were many reports of those limits being slashed within the first few months of opening the card. I think most of those people had opened multiple new accounts at the same time or shortly after opening their Evergreen card.

I think Citi might be a little shy with people with a lot of inquiries. Seems like I've read that. And the reason they give for not granting me a CLI is too many recent inquiries. I have two in the last six months and one of those was for the Citi card I'm trying to get increased. Other was a HP CLI request on another card. So it's not like I've been opening a lot of accounts.

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 778, TU8 766, EX8 770 as of April 18
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AZE4 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 3/6, 4/12, 7/24
Message 2 of 20
RedKhaos
Established Member

Citi can be inquiry sensative if you apply for their Premier card, but might have more wiggle room with the Double Cash or Custom Cash. All things being equal, I'd apply for the high value/high SUB card(s) first. It's hard to judge without knowing which cards or types of cards you lean toward. You might want to apply for Navy Federal's Flagship card early or middle of the pack but if you only need say something like the platinum card then you can apply for it at the very end.

Are you avoiding the major bank issuers like Chase just to avoid potential blowback or adverse action?

Message 3 of 20
tricklemoo
Established Member

Thanks for the info with Evergreen, that's incredibly helpful. So if I'm understanding you correctly, that particular bank has a recent history of either reducing limit immediately or cancelling a recently approved card altogether if they see a bunch of inquries or new account hit? I'll take Evergreen off the list to even apply for (for now) in that case.

I've seen the Citi = inquiry sensitive a lot, so definitely doing them first. But wondering if any of the others I'm going to apply for are more on the sensitive side comparatively. 

Message 4 of 20
tricklemoo
Established Member

@RedKhaos, thanks for the reply, by recommending Navy early or middle of pack does that mean they can be a bit inquiry sensitive? Do you know who they pull from?

Message 5 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@tricklemoo wrote:

@RedKhaos, thanks for the reply, by recommending Navy early or middle of pack does that mean they can be a bit inquiry sensitive? Do you know who they pull from?

Please reference the following link for some guidance. Just keep in mind that HP results can vary and the link simply provides a general overview:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Which-Report-Will-They-Pull-Part-2/m-p/637977...

Message 6 of 20
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@tricklemoo wrote:

Throw in my 2cents ..I am not sure about Navy being Inquiry sensitive,

I feel they are more debt to income sensitive..

They pull Transunion for new applications.

Message 7 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@tricklemoo wrote:

I last went on a spree just over a year ago and got three new cards (from three applications), and have since been gardening. I'm about to go on another spree, hoping to come out of it with 4 cards out of 6 applications max, then will garden again for 1 or 1.5 years.

I am especially interested in getting a card (but not necessarily a specific card- I'm open minded/flexible depending on what is offered) from: Discover, Citi, NFCU. I am also open to cards from Evergreen, Truist, Penfed. I have never applied for a credit card from any of these banks before, but I do have NFCU, Discover, and Penfed checking/savings that I opened about a year ago and use very lightly just to build a relationship. NOT interested in Chase, CapOne, USBank, or Amex direct (but dont mind cards that use the Amex system). Neutral about WellsFargo but lean towards not interested in a card from them at this time.

FICO is 730 for Experian/TU 

I have mail targetted preapprove/preselect offers for Discover, City, and Navy cards. 

Is this order ok:
Citi
Discover
Navy
Evergreen

Truist

Penfed

I'm not sure who pulls from what so if there is any way to be clever about incoorporating that into the order, or if anything should be moved? I have Citi first because I read before that they are inquiry and new account sensitive.
Any advice much appreciated! 

The order makes sense, but I don't recommend sprees. And by the time you get to PenFed I don't think your chances will be good.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 20
RedKhaos
Established Member

They are not that sensative by various accounts but every lender has a limit. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/NFCU-INQUIRIES/td-p/4943552

The Navy flagship card has a $300 SUB so if you do go for it, it makes sense to err on the side of caution. If the Navy card you go for doesn't have a SUB, then I think you can drop that application to later.

Is evergreen the credit card from Omaha Bank or Evergreen bank? Curious as I never heard of the latter.

Message 9 of 20
tricklemoo
Established Member

@RedKhaos wrote:

They are not that sensative by various accounts but every lender has a limit. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/NFCU-INQUIRIES/td-p/4943552

The Navy flagship card has a $300 SUB so if you do go for it, it makes sense to err on the side of caution. If the Navy card you go for doesn't have a SUB, then I think you can drop that application to later.

Is evergreen the credit card from Omaha Bank or Evergreen bank? Curious as I never heard of the latter.

Sorry I should have put FNBO Evergreen- I dropped the FNBO as it was there in my head!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.