cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to go on a spree- is this an ok order for the applications?

tag
tricklemoo
Established Member

Re: About to go on a spree- is this an ok order for the applications?

Update- so I applied for Citi Rewards+ first, using pre-approve code from mailer. Got 7-10 day response, but I feel like this could because I'm in the UK right now not on a USA IP address, as I dont see any reason for them to reject me when at the time of applying I had 0 inquiries and 0 new accounts in the last year, good FICO, and they'd been agressively giving me pre-approvals for two years...hoping its an IP address thing. Debating whether to call now or give it a day or two and call. 
I then waited a bit and applied for Discover, got approved.
Then did NavyFed preapprove with the SUB and got approved.
I took FNBO Evergreen off my list as I'm too spooked by hearing they might lower limit or cancel card when they see a lot of recent hard pulls.
Took Truist off the list as I didn't realise they geofence and I'm in a state they don't cover.
That leaves Penfed, which I'm a member with and it lets me login and apply then times out at the very last stage after hitting 'submit' every time, on multiple devices- I'm assuming an IP address problem.

Now considering doing Wells Fargo or Bank of America but slightly weary would be a waste of HP or low limit since I have no relationship with them and they have conservative reputations? Though I just saw on another thread Wells Fargo is becoming more generous?

Message 11 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@tricklemoo wrote:

Update- so I applied for Citi Rewards+ first, using pre-approve code from mailer. Got 7-10 day response, but I feel like this could because I'm in the UK right now not on a USA IP address, as I dont see any reason for them to reject me when at the time of applying I had 0 inquiries and 0 new accounts in the last year, good FICO, and they'd been agressively giving me pre-approvals for two years...hoping its an IP address thing. Debating whether to call now or give it a day or two and call. 
I then waited a bit and applied for Discover, got approved.
Then did NavyFed preapprove with the SUB and got approved.
I took FNBO Evergreen off my list as I'm too spooked by hearing they might lower limit or cancel card when they see a lot of recent hard pulls.
Took Truist off the list as I didn't realise they geofence and I'm in a state they don't cover.
That leaves Penfed, which I'm a member with and it lets me login and apply then times out at the very last stage after hitting 'submit' every time, on multiple devices- I'm assuming an IP address problem.

Now considering doing Wells Fargo or Bank of America but slightly weary would be a waste of HP or low limit since I have no relationship with them and they have conservative reputations? Though I just saw on another thread Wells Fargo is becoming more generous?

You'll have to wait until you receive any correspondence from Citi, especially if they need to verify your identity. 

Congrats on the other 2 approvals.

As far as PenFed (or any others you are considering), determine whether there's any overlap on the rewards structure or benefits versus those you currently hold today. Unless, your goals are to collect as many CCs as possible without regard for benefits or rewards.

As far as WF, just because there are posts with higher limits doesn't mean the floodgates are open and everyone is getting approved for high limits, it's still profile-specific. But, if you're doing this as YOLO, that's your decision. I was approved for the Autograph CC recently, but to me (my profile specifically) the high SL seems to be in line with previous WF approvals 🤷‍♂️ So, YEMV.

Message 12 of 20
mgood
Valued Contributor

@RedKhaos wrote:

Is evergreen the credit card from Omaha Bank or Evergreen bank? Curious as I never heard of the latter.

Yeah, Fist National Bank of Omaha (FNBO). Evergreen Rewards is the name of their 2% back card that has become very popular recently.

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 778, TU8 766, EX8 770 as of April 16
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AZE4 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 3/6, 4/12, 7/24
Message 13 of 20
tricklemoo
Established Member

Further update: After the Citi 7-10 day, Disco approval, and Navy approval, I tried Penfed. Got a 404 error at the very end of application on both my laptop and phone. Assumed it was because I'm on a UK IP address currently until had my sister try for me in my homestate and she got same thing. Will call them today to inquire what's going on (I've since read that their applicaiton 404'ing is a 'thing'). I strongly toyed with applying for a 0%APR+reward+SUB WellsFargo or BoA card, but utlimately didn't for the same reason I've avoided these banks thus far- too scared off by them being 'relationship banks' and conservative with limits and am loathe to waste a hard pull for anything less than good odds of approval for a decent limit. Instead I re-considered a recent Bread Cashback Amex prequal offer, decided to take it so I could be sure I got at least 3 cards from the spree regardless of outcome with Citi or Penfed. Got accepted for that. So really happy, 3 cards I wanted with good SLs. 

Message 14 of 20
tricklemoo
Established Member

So, I got an email from PenFed saying my application was under review- there's probably a separate thread I'm assuming on their system doing this (giving error 404 when you submit the application, but actually the application was successfully submitted)? The thing is, I didn't realise at the time this was a 'thing' with PenFed, since I was using a non-USA IP address that was a red herring and I had blamed that. So as a result I had taken the Bread offer since I assumed PenFed was a deadend. When in actuality, I'd submitted four applications (one for each time I kept trying their website to not error), the first three of which were withdrawn, the last one of which they kept.
I called them to ask what was goign on when got the email and they said actualy it's just been approved- so now up to 4/5 cards applied for, still just with the Citi 7-10 message with no update outstanding.
What's weird is that I have no alert for inquiry for PenFed when I check all my various credit monitoring apps (Experian, CreditWise, etc) and they're usually instant. Anyone know why that might be?

Also, does anyone know that if Citi does actually consider my application and just needs id or income verify, if they will go off of the hard pull from when I submitted it, or wait and run the hard pull whenever I give them what they need? As if its the later it will almost surely be rejected, as when I first applied to them I had zero inquiries in the last year, whereas now I will have 2-3 depending on where they pull from. The whole 'apply for Citi first because they are inquiry sensitive' won't have worked out if they delay their hard pull until they get verify docs. I can make a separate thread but just wondering if anyone ever seen this situation? (Someone applies for Citi with zero inquries, gets request for verify docs, racks up inquries in meantime?)

Message 15 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@tricklemoo wrote:

Also, does anyone know that if Citi does actually consider my application and just needs id or income verify, if they will go off of the hard pull from when I submitted it, or wait and run the hard pull whenever I give them what they need? As if its the later it will almost surely be rejected, as when I first applied to them I had zero inquiries in the last year, whereas now I will have 2-3 depending on where they pull from. The whole 'apply for Citi first because they are inquiry sensitive' won't have worked out if they delay their hard pull until they get verify docs. I can make a separate thread but just wondering if anyone ever seen this situation? (Someone applies for Citi with zero inquries, gets request for verify docs, racks up inquries in meantime?)

You'll have to wait on the letter from Citi (or whoever has access to your mail) to determine what, if any, next steps are needed. If they already accessed your report(s) then I'm sure they'll let you know about your application through the mail. There's no way for us to know -- no need for a separate thread.

Message 16 of 20
tricklemoo
Established Member

@FinStar wrote:

@tricklemoo wrote:

You'll have to wait on the letter from Citi (or whoever has access to your mail) to determine what, if any, next steps are needed. If they already accessed your report(s) then I'm sure they'll let you know about your application through the mail. There's no way for us to know -- no need for a separate thread.

My question, though, was specifically if anyone has ever gotten the 7-10 message, gotten a mail letter asking for ID or income verifiction, and then provided them with that- if the hardpull that Citi runs ended up being from when they originally applied, or if its at the point of when they recieve the additional documents they asked you for are successfully recieved.

Message 17 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@tricklemoo wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@tricklemoo wrote:

My question, though, was specifically if anyone has ever gotten the 7-10 message, gotten a mail letter asking for ID or income verifiction, and then provided them with that- if the hardpull that Citi runs ended up being from when they originally applied, or if its at the point of when they recieve the additional documents they asked you for are successfully recieved.

The 7-10 message can be many different outcomes: denial, request for additional verification, POI, etc. That's why I mentioned waiting for the letter because that particular message is not definitive. The outcome or decision is based upon the time your credit report was accessed. 

Message 18 of 20
tricklemoo
Established Member

@FinStar wrote:

@tricklemoo wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@tricklemoo wrote:

The 7-10 message can be many different outcomes: denial, request for additional verification, POI, etc. That's why I mentioned waiting for the letter because that particular message is not definitive. The outcome or decision is based upon the time your credit report was accessed. 

I know it can be different outcomes, but that doesn't change my question- if I assume it is a request for POI or proof of identification request (which I do, I highly doubt its an outright denail for a few reasons), then my decision to supply them with what they request will be based purely on whether providing the POI/idenity docs/etc would THEN trigger a hard pull of my credit report (ie, the date that idenity/POI/etc documentation was recieved), or if it would have been already pulled at my time of application. If it would pull my report once additional docs are recieved, I will not bother supplying them with documentation as I would assume it would then be a rejection because I've gotten a lot of new accounts and inquiries since my application, and Citi are known to be sensitive to this.

Message 19 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@tricklemoo wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@tricklemoo wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@tricklemoo wrote:

I know it can be different outcomes, but that doesn't change my question- if I assume it is a request for POI or proof of identification request (which I do, I highly doubt its an outright denail for a few reasons), then my decision to supply them with what they request will be based purely on whether providing the POI/idenity docs/etc would THEN trigger a hard pull of my credit report (ie, the date that idenity/POI/etc documentation was recieved), or if it would have been already pulled at my time of application. If it would pull my report once additional docs are recieved, I will not bother supplying them with documentation as I would assume it would then be a rejection because I've gotten a lot of new accounts and inquiries since my application, and Citi are known to be sensitive to this.

Citi should have already accessed your report(s) when you applied. They are known to access or HP any of the 3. It's possible, if additional documents are requested and depending how long the turnaround timeframe-wise takes on submitting the documentation from your end, that they could SP again (not HP).

However, they are not going to HP again unless a reconsideration is entertained. At this juncture, pure speculation on the 'what if's'. Just wait for the letter and decide what next steps to take.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.