cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addicted to Applying for Credit Cards - HELP!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for Credit Cards Addiction

@anm688 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@anm688 wrote:
Oooooops. Just got approved for AmEx HHonors Surpass card. That makes my 9th AmEx card.

Thank you for all the advice. The one I have to go with is freezing my credit reports. I think that's the only way to actually stop. Freezing the reports will be like having a drinking addiction but not being able to get drunk anymore.

9th Amex cards?  Which ones do you have? I thought Amex had a limit on maximum number of cards one can have? Congrats on the approval by the way..

1) Mercedez-Benz Platinum

2) Premier Rewarss Gold

3) Gold Delta SkyMiles

4) Platinum Delta SkyMiles

5) Blue

6) EveryDay

7) Gold Business 

8) HHonors Regular Card

9) HHonors Surpass Card

I've also heard about a limit on total number, but I've never had a problem. It's never instant. It always takes a few days. 

You know, I was combing my mind as your username sounded familiar.  You are the guy who sells cards on Ebay and started the mega Capital One gravy train when you got approved for $50k Venture and $50k Quicksilver back to back if memory serves me right...

You must have an extremely high net worth to have 9 Amex cards unless the limits on them are not mega. Congrats on them though...

Message 31 of 51
anm688
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You know, I was combing my mind as your username sounded familiar.  You are the guy who sells cards on Ebay and started the mega Capital One gravy train when you got approved for $50k Venture and $50k Quicksilver back to back if memory serves me right...

You must have an extremely high net worth to have 9 Amex cards unless the limits on them are not mega. Congrats on them though...

Yes! I blame Capital One for my addiction. After I got approved for the $50,000 line, I got a huge rush from it, and it was only downhill from there. Now I have 5 C1 cards, 4 Barclay cards, 9 AmEx cards, and etc etc etc. 

I used to be normal before. 

Message 32 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@anm688 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes! I blame Capital One for my addiction. After I got approved for the $50,000 line, I got a huge rush from it, and it was only downhill from there. Now I have 5 C1 cards, 4 Barclay cards, 9 AmEx cards, and etc etc etc. 

Take a break from the forum if it is too addicting to you... As the approvals only encourages the weak to apply for more cards......

Message 33 of 51
kdm31091
Super Contributor

As others have stated, sometimes a break from the forums and credit world can do you wonders. As long as you continue to pay your bills on time, there's no need to obsess over these matters.

As far as number of cards, technically speaking, as long as you keep utilization low and pay your bills, there's no "real" harm in having a lot, but it can eventually stop you from getting further approvals, in addition to increasing the likelihood of fraud, you forget to pay one, etc, etc.

Beyond that, as I have posted many times on these boards, there is not much point in having more than a handful of cards or less if we are talking about everyday spending. Unless you are a millionaire, you only have so much money to spend every month. Adding more and more cards doesn't (shouldn't) increase your budget, so your rewards just get more and more diluted, to the point where you are earning maybe an extra  nickel or quarter a month per card. At some point, it's just not worth it. Higher incomes can withstand more "dilution", if you will, but no matter what, it's plain and simple math: the more cards you divide your total spend on, the less rewards you will reap on each one, and many cards have redemption restrictions, meaning it can take months to actually get anything.

I'd just focus on other hobbies and interests. Continue to pay your bills but otherwise stop obsessing over this stuff. In the grand scheme of life there are certainly many other worthwhile things to worry about!

Message 34 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@anm688 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@anm688 wrote:
Oooooops. Just got approved for AmEx HHonors Surpass card. That makes my 9th AmEx card.

Thank you for all the advice. The one I have to go with is freezing my credit reports. I think that's the only way to actually stop. Freezing the reports will be like having a drinking addiction but not being able to get drunk anymore.

9th Amex cards?  Which ones do you have? I thought Amex had a limit on maximum number of cards one can have? Congrats on the approval by the way..

1) Mercedez-Benz Platinum

2) Premier Rewarss Gold

3) Gold Delta SkyMiles

4) Platinum Delta SkyMiles

5) Blue

6) EveryDay

7) Gold Business 

8) HHonors Regular Card

9) HHonors Surpass Card

I've also heard about a limit on total number, but I've never had a problem. It's never instant. It always takes a few days. 

Oh yeah, I remember that. At the time they had six Amex approvals and posted a screen shot of them since there were some who doubted it.

Message 35 of 51
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@anm688 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Morbid curiosity here...What is your line of work?

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 36 of 51
NichelleN
Established Contributor

I was going to suggest what I did for a while. First, I avoided the approvals section. That only worked for a while. Then I would just log in to the pre-approval sites and see if I would get approved. When the 'pre-approval' came across, that was enough for me.... for a while. That didn't last, though. So, I took a break.

Good luck to you, though. I live in a state with cold winters. Summers are much too short so soon it will be time to get out and enjoy the weather and life. I hope you're able to spend a lot of time offline enjoying the people and hobbies that bring you joy . Smiley Happy

More than enough credit.
Message 37 of 51
_NERD
Established Contributor

Re: Addicted to Applying for Credit Cards - HELP!!!

anm688: report to the Garden. Spades can be an addiction too. That's a good thing in your case.

3B profile optimization in progress...
Message 38 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 39 of 51
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

This used to be me... 57 INQ on Ex, 31 on TU, 22 on EQ. They're starting to fall off... Honestly i just stopped applying and thought of ways to get my Score as high as possible, along with my DW.
Message 40 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.