Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice about suggested order of applications

tag
LovinChicago
Established Member

Advice about suggested order of applications

I'm about to be an empty nester and starting to focus on rewards cards for travel. Picked up the CSP in February after at least 4 years gardening and am now trying to decide what's next. Thought I'd target two more cards this year, applying at least 90 days apart. I want the CFF to balance transfer about $6K from another card, complete the Chase trifecta, and gain the cell phone protection benefits. But I missed the 5% cashback on gas for the first year. All 5 other cards I have are paid in full each month.

I'm also considering the Hilton Surpass as an entry into the AMEX ecosystem, with the idea to perhaps add/upgrade to the Hilton Aspire down the road for more SUB points, the Diamond status, free weekend night, and the resort and airline credits. Hilton has been my preferred hotel. I'm a little reluctant to jump straight to the Aspire due to the $450 annual fee even though I think I'd be able to realize even more value than that every year.

I also considered the AMEX Platinum for the gold status with two hotel brands, cell phone protection, and more flexible membership rewards points, but can only reasonably see myself using $505 in benefits each year. While I know it can be a nice perk, I have been valuing the lounge access at zero based on how little I fly (1-2 times a year) and the status of lounges in my two closest major airports (few currently open options in Philly and Newark). However, if I went with the Platinum I could get the cell phone coverage that way, and combine the 100K+ SUB with the ~90K Chase UR points I have and make decent progress towards a really nice flight for my wife and me.

I know about Chase 5/24 (currently at 1/24). The only Chase cards I could see adding in the future are the CFF and Chase United Explorer (primarily for the United points SUB and free checked baggage benefits).

Scores are TU/EX: 776 and EQ: 764. EX: 3 hard inquiries, TU/EQ: 1 hard inquiry. 12-13% utilization. Salary: low $100s (likely to go up 3-5K in the summer).

Is it better to apply for one of the AMEX cards first, then go for the CFF 90 days later (that way 6 months between Chase apps), or does it make a difference? Is 3 apps in six months too much for someone with my profile? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
calisig
Regular Contributor

Re: Advice about suggested order of applications

From what I've gleaned from this forum so far, I would probably knock out to Chase app first. You didn't say where you were in 5/24, but that would make sure a slot was available for the CFF. I have seen a number of profiles on here that have multiple Chase accounts approved within months.

I also have considered the AE Platinum, but it has turned way too coupony for me to recoup value from, and like you, I don't fly often enough to take advantage of it's lounge access. And it would be my luck that the lounge is across the airport if they even have one in the airports I visit. So I also have been looking at the AE Mariott and Hilton cards. I think I could get better value from them, but am still on the fence because I like to take all options into account when booking a place, and not be inclined to one brand or type of accomidations.

Besides showing Chase a six month break, the only other advantage I can think of to doing AE first is that AE would see less total credit exposure, and maybe give a higher limit as a result, AND Chase would see you have another creditor - and might view that as diversified risk - less likely for you to burn just Chase - which may result in a better approval from them as well.

Good luck and let us know what you chose and how it went

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 2 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@LovinChicago wrote:

I'm about to be an empty nester and starting to focus on rewards cards for travel. Picked up the CSP in February after at least 4 years gardening and am now trying to decide what's next. Thought I'd target two more cards this year, applying at least 90 days apart. I want the CFF to balance transfer about $6K from another card, complete the Chase trifecta, and gain the cell phone protection benefits. But I missed the 5% cashback on gas for the first year. All 5 other cards I have are paid in full each month.

I'm also considering the Hilton Surpass as an entry into the AMEX ecosystem, with the idea to perhaps add/upgrade to the Hilton Aspire down the road for more SUB points, the Diamond status, free weekend night, and the resort and airline credits. Hilton has been my preferred hotel. I'm a little reluctant to jump straight to the Aspire due to the $450 annual fee even though I think I'd be able to realize even more value than that every year.

I also considered the AMEX Platinum for the gold status with two hotel brands, cell phone protection, and more flexible membership rewards points, but can only reasonably see myself using $505 in benefits each year. While I know it can be a nice perk, I have been valuing the lounge access at zero based on how little I fly (1-2 times a year) and the status of lounges in my two closest major airports (few currently open options in Philly and Newark). However, if I went with the Platinum I could get the cell phone coverage that way, and combine the 100K+ SUB with the ~90K Chase UR points I have and make decent progress towards a really nice flight for my wife and me.

I know about Chase 5/24 (currently at 1/24). The only Chase cards I could see adding in the future are the CFF and Chase United Explorer (primarily for the United points SUB and free checked baggage benefits).

Scores are TU/EX: 776 and EQ: 764. EX: 3 hard inquiries, TU/EQ: 1 hard inquiry. 12-13% utilization. Salary: low $100s (likely to go up 3-5K in the summer).

Is it better to apply for one of the AMEX cards first, then go for the CFF 90 days later (that way 6 months between Chase apps), or does it make a difference? Is 3 apps in six months too much for someone with my profile? Thanks for any advice you can give.

The Hilton cards are great cards IMHO but they don't get you into the Amex "ecosystem". They do however get you into the Hilton ecosystem. I've had all 3 Hilton cards, and the one that produced the most bang for the buck for me was the Surpass card. But it's very possible that if Covid hadn't happened, the Aspire would have been tops.

I think it's really hard for anyone but frequent flyers to get their money's worth out of the Amex Platinum card.

It's always best to apply for Chase first if you want a Chase card.

No I don't think 3 cards in 6 months is too much for someone with your profile, but I don't see the need for 3.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 5
LovinChicago
Established Member

Thanks for the advice!

I actually applied for the Aspire last week and was approved for a SL above $16K. Got it in time to use the Diamond status for a short trip out of state earlier this week. I'm going to garden for a while and work on building up points.

Message 4 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As the OP has indicated they've been approved, this thread is now locked and closed to new messages. Congrats on the American Express Hilton Aspire approval @LovinChicago -- enjoy the new card!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.