cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice, apply for 2 cards at once, maybe 3?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice, apply for 2 cards at once, maybe 3?

Hi, I have an offer from Keybank for their Latitude credit card, à $200 deposit into my savings account if I get the card this month, and I'm also interested in the Chase Freedom just to get with them. I'm below 5/24 but I've been denied twice before around 2-3 years ago. I have never gotten a pre-approved offer online, I always get the screen saying that I might have opt-out from pre screened offers, which I don't remember ever doing it. 

The third card that I'm interested in is the Discover It Miles with a $100 referral bonus throughout all 2020, which means I could wait a bit. I've read that if it is pre-approved and it's the your second discover card, you can get with just a soft pull. 

I have around 3% utilization and 2 hard inquires (and new accounts) in the last 2 years. What worries me is that both Chase and Discover seem to be taking AA against too many accounts within a short period of time. 

Would 3 be too much and should I just stick to 2 apps? 

Thanks! 

TU 744

EX 745

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Advice, apply for 2 cards at once, maybe 3?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I have an offer from Keybank for their Latitude credit card, à $200 deposit into my savings account if I get the card this month, and I'm also interested in the Chase Freedom just to get with them. I'm below 5/24 but I've been denied twice before around 2-3 years ago. I have never gotten a pre-approved offer online, I always get the screen saying that I might have opt-out from pre screened offers, which I don't remember ever doing it. 

The third card that I'm interested in is the Discover It Miles with a $100 referral bonus throughout all 2020, which means I could wait a bit. I've read that if it is pre-approved and it's the your second discover card, you can get with just a soft pull. 

Was not the case for My second card! and I am sure others could add to this

I have around 3% utilization and 2 hard inquires (and new accounts) in the last 2 years. What worries me is that both Chase and Discover seem to be taking AA against too many accounts within a short period of time. 

Would 3 be too much and should I just stick to 2 apps? 

2 apps is fine, 3 is good .. Just don't app like i doSmiley Tongue

Thanks! 

TU 744

EX 745

1) Check Discover Pre-Qualify website?

2) Don't app after The Chase card.

3) I missed a lot ...others can help .. tired and going to bed!

Good Luck OP!

Message 2 of 35
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I am sure @AllZero  could sell you something?Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there @CaptainE

1. If you have never gotten preapprovals head over to www.optoutprescreen.com select opt in and put in your info as you would when filling out a cc app.

2. Chase may have denied you before but things change I highly recommend getting in with chase as a priority before your over 5/24.

(I apped for freedom, quicksilver1, and disco cash on August 07 2019 all approved.

Freedom 8k

Quicksilver1 3k

Discover cash 2k)

AA with chase may come down the line or not but discover has been known recently to approve you then ask for 4506t and close accouts that dont pass.

4. As far as 2nd discover card being a soft pull that I can say from experience and others DP's. it will be a hard pull. My first discover pulled experian my 2nd pulled Equifax.

5. Feel free to app for all three but try to be strategic on how you spread your inquiries if possible try for a card thats known to mostly pull transunion and or Equifax as chase usally pulls Experian. Also check prequals on 

Citibank:

https://www.citicards.com/cards/credit/application/flow.action?isInvitation=N

AMEX

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/check-for-offers/?eep=25330&linknav=US-Acq-Shop-Cons...

Bank of America:

https://secure.bankofamerica.com/secure-offers/public/customizedOffers/

HSBC:

https://www.us.hsbc.com/credit-cards/

Message 4 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

My second Disco was also a HP. 

Message 5 of 35
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

All my Discos were hp. Im not sure on the part of Disco taking AA for too many new accounts but i guess caution is always a good thingSmiley Happy

Message 6 of 35
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I am sure @AllZero  could sell you something?Smiley LOL

@M_Smart007   lolz. OP has some solid picks. Difficult to recommend more. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice.

I have gotten constant pre-approvals and mailedooffers with many other lenders so I find it odd not to get them with Chase. I opted-in online a couple months ago to see if that was the issue.

I will update on the outcome once I apply next week. I'm waiting for my updated utilization since I just paid my balances. 

Message 8 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mostly get DP from reddit, and I once got denied for a second Discover card without a hard pull. From some posts that I've read, they were approved with a soft pull if applying directly from the pre qualify page. 

Message 9 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't actually seen posts about discover taking AA for new accounts but I did see a video from AskSheby talking about Discover and Chase closing accounts or asking for income verification for opening too many accounts in a short period of time. 

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.