cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for thin file to get card to help with dental work (CareCredit denial)

tag
barsandrhyme

Re: Advice for thin file to get card to help with dental work (CareCredit denial)

I applied for a PayPal World Mastercard as it said it would not impact my score if I checked. I was approved for 2K. I then waited a few weeks and checked out the CareCred pre-qualify tool and I tried various amounts, 5K, 7K, and 9K as the estiamted procedure cost. It finally seemed to cap at 7.3K - I was toying around with the procedure amount every other day to see if the pre-qualified number actually meant anything. Do you think I should go for the CareCredit or might I actually be able to get an okay-decent card elsewhere? I'd rather not waste the hard inquiry on CareCredit if I might be able to get a better card elsewhere and just see if they grow. That was my mistake the first time around when I had good credit. I kept applying for cards like crazy in a short amount of time until I started to get toy limits like $150 at American Eagle. 

Message 11 of 17
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Advice for thin file to get card to help with dental work (CareCredit denial)

@barsandrhyme 

The Care Credit prequal tool you are using by typing in procedure costs shouldn't be a HP unless you accept the offer.

'It's how I got my $8k card.  The only mistake I made was not asking for 12.

As for the dental work... implants are all good till you get infections.  I've heard good and bad about it.  I'm 48 and decided to go with premium dentures for $7500.  They are premium in a sense that people don't know they aren't my real teeth unless I tell them.

Good luck.

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 12 of 17
barsandrhyme

Yes, that's exactly why I kept trying every other day to see if the pre-qualified amount meant anything or if it was just randomly saying I was pre-qualified. It did seem to top out at 7,300. I was just curious if I should just go for the CareCredit or if it would be possible to get something else with a decent limit instead. 

Thanks, I'm definitely super nervous - I go in tomorrow for the bridge poriton. The dentist did initially suggest a dental plate/denture or something instead, but I wanted to try the implant-bridge option. I know the bridge could fail and she expressed concerned that one needs amazing dental hyegine to make a bridge last, so if it does end up failing, dentures it is. The office actually wound up offering a nice 4 month payment plan. I was able to cover the first payment, but definitely wanted to see if I could still get the CareCredit or other decent limit card to help out with the other payments and other work that I will eventually need. I know my file is still very thin, so I'm leaning toward the CareCredit since I don't think I'd get a similar limit with say Capital One (especially since their pre-approval page still keeps recommending secured cards).

Message 13 of 17
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I'd recommend Care Credit.  You'll get a 0% payment plan on the procedure too.

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 14 of 17
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

Don't laugh, but if you live close to the border, go over into Mexico.  My mom and the rest of her senior buddies get all their dental work done in Mexico.  It is significantly cheaper.

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - $60k | Citi AA Executive - $37k | AmEx Delta Platinum - 65k
Message 15 of 17
DONZI
Established Contributor

@barsandrhyme wrote:

I applied for a PayPal World Mastercard as it said it would not impact my score if I checked. I was approved for 2K.

Do you think I should go for the CareCredit or might I actually be able to get an okay-decent card elsewhere? I'd rather not waste the hard inquiry on CareCredit if I might be able to get a better card elsewhere and just see if they grow.

The paypal mastercard is a decent card. If you can get what you mentioned above, seems like a good move. Probably better to go with the financing with the dentist though instead of jacking the utilization of the card(s) up.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

Try Alphaeon with Comenity

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.