Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on 2nd card App's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on 2nd card App's

I am looking for advice on a 2nd credit card I should apply for next. I will be 20 yo next week so at the very beginning of establishing credit. I am 6 months in and finally have a FICO scores (as of 2 weeks ago).

My fico 8 scores are EX 769, EQ 750, TU 736. I am monitoring my credit using MF 3B, through Experian (free account), and ocassionaly check Credit Karma. In May '17 I was approved for a Discover it Chrome Student card, SL $1,000, that is now $2,000. My credit util. is 1%. My credit util. hasn't ever been higher than 8%, per the advice I received from this forum (and mom). 

It's been 6 mos. and I am ready to add a second card. I just don't know what card. I prefer to focus on non-store credit cards if possible. I know my credit scores and 6 mos of payment history may not be enough to get approved easily, so I am hoping to get some advice on cards I should consider that doesn't have the "over 21rule". 

Thank you in advance for all feedback. 

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on 2nd card App's

Over 21 rule.... sorry if my post doesn’t apply. Because I’m WAY over 21, I’m not sure who enforces this. Btw, I would love to trade places with you. (Had a good time at 21 acting a plum fool 😂). Whew good times! 

Anyway, let’s talk credit!

IMO, you should add a visa and/or Mc because they are accepted in more locations. 

Time to do the prequal circuit. Try Cap1 and Chase. I would also try Amex (I know they are not v/mc, but they would also be a nice add). 

Please let us know what you get offered! 

Message 2 of 19
dragontears
Senior Contributor

The OP is under 21 so most prequal sites won't work
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’d shy away from Chase until the 1 year mark.

I’d go with Amex or Citi.

This is anecdotal but I guess all advice here is. Both Amex or Citi approved my dad (cash man only for a long time) with 6-mo or less of credit history. His scores were similar to yours.

Chase and Bank of America declined him for the sole reason of:
“Not enough accounts opened long enough to establish a credit history.” Recon was attempted with Chase but they would not budge.

NFCU also approved him. Capital One may be okay for the Platinum or QuickSilver One. I’d shy away from the Venture cards.

App history for him with 6-mo of history:
Chase - Declined
BoA - Declined
Amex - Everyday - Approved - $4,000
Citi - DoubleCash - Approved - $1,000
NFCU - Cash Rewards - Approved - $5,900

FICO 8
EX - 746
EQ - 750
TU - 744

Great job so far and good luck.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the feedback. I am currently banking with Chase for a little over 1 year. Never thought to app with them since no offers seem to pop up on the prequalifier. 

NFCU may be an option. I've been a indirect member for a few years. My grandfather opened a "minor" account that he is the AU for. I'll contact NFCU on getting my access number to get access to NFCU's prodcuts.

As far as app'g, I considered CapOne since they are the easier of the bunch to get in with. I'd prefer Amex or Citi cards though of course. Sicne I am under 21, not sure if I have a chance at any of these.  

If I did app for a store-based card, which cards would you suggest? Are my chances of approval better with a storecard? Only cards I could see using are Best Buy and Barclay's Apple card, but I prefer a Visa, MC, or AE card. 

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Justagirl73 wrote:

Over 21 rule.... sorry if my post doesn’t apply. Because I’m WAY over 21, I’m not sure who enforces this. Btw, I would love to trade places with you. (Had a good time at 21 acting a plum fool 😂). Whew good times! 

Anyway, let’s talk credit!

IMO, you should add a visa and/or Mc because they are accepted in more locations. 

Time to do the prequal circuit. Try Cap1 and Chase. I would also try Amex (I know they are not v/mc, but they would also be a nice add). 

Please let us know what you get offered! 

😂 i had a grand ole time at 21 too!

OP very impressive at being so responsible! do you use paypal at all? maybe the 2% mc?

Message 6 of 19
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I'd stay away from store cards simply because you'd prefer to avoid them. Don't get one for the sake of getting one.

If you app with Capital One, don't settle for anything other than a Quicksilver or the student card. Their starter cards would be a step back from what you have now, and you don't want to deal with the QuicksilverOne's annual fee.

I like the idea of checking out Navy at this point; I think they'd be a good fit for you.

In another six months, you'll probably have a number of options available, even if you stuck with only your current card over that time period..

Message 7 of 19
peghede
Valued Contributor

Since u have discover ( also when they  give you cli go for double dip) , now i would go for amx , navy if you could get in ill be best outta all.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I am currently 19.5 and was in your footsteps a year ago. My first card ever was the Capital One Journey (approved w/ 5.5K income, no credit), 1.25% rewards. I then PC'ed that to the Quicksilver card, 1.5% rewards. My second card was the Discover IT Secured card which unsecured this month, but this last summer, I went on an app spree at Amex, Citi, and BoA. BoA barely approved me with a toy limit, but Amex was very bold in their SL, and Citi was willing to approve me with student verification. I would recommend Cap1, though they pull all three CBs, but otherwise try Amex or Citi!

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for sharing and the advice. 

So, this happened...the prequalifier said I prequalified for the Amex Everyday card so I decided to apply online this afternoon. No instant approval, and no denial. My application needs further review. I received an email with my application # saying the same thing. I am assuming it it is a denial, or will lead to one. 

Looks like I made the wrong choice so feeling kind of bummed. I'm afraid I will get more denials if I apply with anyone else so may be stuck with just one account for a while. Not sure about reconning since I dont even have a decision yet. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.