Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on timing to upgrade for Chase Reserve Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on timing to upgrade for Chase Reserve Card

Hey folks, need some feedback.

I have a 30D late in September. I’ve tried everything to remove it without success. But I’m current now. My scores are now 703 across the board. Besides that 30D late, my credit is flawless. I have no balances on $60K credit limit. Lots of mixed credit. I have 3 inquires in the past year.

I will be eligible to upgrade my Sapphire Preferred to Reserve on August 10th. What are my chances here? I’m hoping to get into the 730 range by then? Is that realistic? Or should I wait until September and make a year from the 30D late before I ask to upgrade. Is this 30D late an automatic denial for anything I apply for in the next 2 years??? Is 12 month enough of data points to see my payment history continue after the 30D late???
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Advice on timing to apply for Chase Reserve Card

I don't know that it's an automatic denial, but definitely a hinderance. 12 month wait period would be good, 24 month would be better, IMO. Especially with Chase.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that depends:

Do you already have a 10k cl with your sapphire?

I feel that if they haven't taken action on your 30d reporting, youre probably still ok for upgrade. That said, maybe let the 30d age a bit first.
Message 3 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey folks, need some feedback.

I have a 30D late in September. I’ve tried everything to remove it without success. But I’m current now. My scores are now 703 across the board. Besides that 30D late, my credit is flawless. I have no balances on $60K credit limit. Lots of mixed credit. I have 3 inquires in the past year.

I will be eligible to upgrade my Sapphire Preferred to Reserve on August 10th. What are my chances here? I’m hoping to get into the 730 range by then? Is that realistic? Or should I wait until September and make a year from the 30D late before I ask to upgrade. Is this 30D late an automatic denial for anything I apply for in the next 2 years??? Is 12 month enough of data points to see my payment history continue after the 30D late???

Thats hard to answer, most lenders will overlook (1) 30 day late (Li.fe Happens)

Chase is a little more scrutinizing that most. if everything else is solid? and you have a strong somewhat aged profile,

I think you have a shot. but The older that 30 day gets, the better off you are. Wish I had a clear answer for you.

I hate to tell you to "just apply" and then you get denied.

if it were Me, I would apply, and if they denied for that reason, I would call and Recon/Explain.

sometimes Chase will overturn a Denial "They are not the Big Bad Bear waiting to eat someone"

I have had a very good overall experience with them. Even opened a Checking & Savings a while back.

Wish you the best!

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a $25,000 credit limit with the Preferred card.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everything else on my credit is solid. When you call for an upgrade I have heard it’s a soft inquiry.
Message 6 of 19
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I'm confused, the title says "apply" but rest of your post is only addressing PC from CSP to CSR

If you're only looking to PC, you have nothing to worry about. Send them SM, that should take care of it.
Credit is not pulled for PC.

If you're really talking about application, dont. Way too soon.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apologize. Yes I’m upgrading my preferred to the Reserved. I have to wait the 13 months first.
Message 8 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I apologize. Yes I’m upgrading my preferred to the Reserved. I have to wait the 13 months first.

Sorry I was 1/2 asleep and misunderstood what you were trying to do.

I thought you were trying to apply for a "NEW" card.

Glad Remedios figured it all out, She is very sharp!

Message 9 of 19
Remedios
Credit Mentor

PC is perfectly fine, dont worry about that late
Just shoot them a message and it will get done.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.