FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

Advise needed, considering NFCU CC balance transfer

Hey everyone, 

I'm looking for some advice here, I currently have 3 cc's:

WF - $7000 CL ($6k balance)

AMEX BCE - $3000 CL ($2k balance)

Discover - $15,700 CL ($14.5k balance)

Awhile back I had changed jobs which is part of the reason for some of the high costs. But, I'm now settled back in with the new job which I've been at for about 6 months now. My AMEX and Discover both had 0% APR intros but those both just ended about 2 months ago so now that I'm paying interest I'm considering options to help pay them down faster. 

Now, if I stay smart, I can probably put roughly $2,000 total towards them each month, and at least $1500 towards them each month. But with the Discover alone I'm paying about $300 in interest each month, which of course will go down the more I pay down. 

I've had a car loan in good standing with NFCU for over a year as well.

Right now all my scores are around 650-660, and this is mostly due to high utilization. No late payments or anything in the last 3 years. One old collection due to fall off in about 6 months. My credit isn't perfect, but within the last few years things have been good. Any past late payments etc are all 3-4+ years old by now. 

SO, with all that being said, since I already have super high utilization, what would you guess my chances are of getting a CC through NFCU for a balance transfer. I would want to transfer as much as allowed, obviously depends on what the credit limit was if I were approved. 

Are CC's easier to get if it's for balance transfers, or do they not even consider that and the factors are the same as anything else?

If I have to just keep paying things down as-is now, then I'll have to do that, but it would be nice to pay that much faster avoiding the interest fees. 

Current Score: EQ 708 | TU ??? | EX 714
Score highs: EQ 715 | TU 704 | EX 718 (02/2020)
Starting Score: EQ 616 | TU 614 | EX 585 (02/18/2018)
Goal Score: 740
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Advise needed, considering NFCU CC balance transfer

If you're all ready a member, call in to see if you're prequal'ed for a CC. Talk to the CSR. I would recommend the Platinum card. Navy has a 1.99% APR for purchases, BT, for 12 months promo on all their unsecured cards. I'm not sure if you'll be approved or get the credit line you need for your full BT. I would not recommend the FlagShip as your first card app.

Message 2 of 43
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

Thanks, so you know if that’s a soft pull?

Also just for my info, why would you not recommend the flagship?
Message 3 of 43
AllZero
Mega Contributor

It'll be a hard pull inquiry once you apply. However, the CSR should know if you have any prequals.

FlagShip is the more difficult card to obtain. $5K starting minimum.

Message 4 of 43
AllZero
Mega Contributor

If no prequals, then it may be a sign that your current credit profile, utilization may need to be addressed. The Discover is in the red zone.

Message 5 of 43
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

Thanks! Yeah I was wondering about that with Discover having such a high current utilization. Maybe it’s best to wait until utilization is a little lower.
What would you say is a percentage out of the red zone?
Message 6 of 43
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Call into Navy. You won't know until you call. All lines are open. Operators waiting. Open 24/7/365+1 for leap year.

Anything over 88.9% is maxed out.

Message 7 of 43
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

Thanks, yeah I guess calling is the best way to find out. I’ll see if I have any prequals
Message 8 of 43
AllZero
Mega Contributor

If no prequals, do not apply and work on your utilization.

Good luck!

Message 9 of 43
AllZero
Mega Contributor

In addition, for the collection, contact the CRA Credit Reporting Agency and ask for EE Early Exclusion.

TU 6 months early.

EX 3 months early.

EQ 1 month early. I do not recommend. Let it fall of naturally.

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.