cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After how many years does ch7 Bankruptcy lose impact on CC applications (specifically Apple Card)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

After how many years does ch7 Bankruptcy lose impact on CC applications (specifically Apple Card)?

I have been boosting my credit score and have a total credit of around 4k now between 4 cards that I always pay off 100%. I also buy a new iphone every year so I have a spending history with them if they consider this. My credit score is currently 649 on the fico website. It will have been 3 years since my bankrupcy in April. I try applying for the apple card every year but get denied (no other recent CC apps). I'm wondering when I stand a chance at approval again and if I should even bother this year.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: After how many years does ch7 Bankruptcy lose impact on CC applications (specifically Apple Card

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been boosting my credit score and have a total credit of around 4k now between 4 cards that I always pay off 100%. I also buy a new iphone every year so I have a spending history with them if they consider this. My credit score is currently 649 on the fico website. It will have been 3 years since my bankrupcy in April. I try applying for the apple card every year but get denied (no other recent CC apps). I'm wondering when I stand a chance at approval again and if I should even bother this year.

I know in my case this month i became 2 years post bk7 dc and a better tier of cards approved me, cap 1 savor 1 3k sl 3pct cb on groceries and dining 26.99, nfcu cash rewards 1.5 cb 3700 sl 16.99, penfed pcr 7.5k s 2pct cbl 17.99, and comenity mc 1k sl 1.5 cb 22.99. 3 of these cards had a sub, comenity 100 for 500 spend, nfcu 250 for 2500 spend, and penfed 100 for 1500 spend.

At 1.5 years post bk7 dc i got, cap 1 QS, and Discover 3k sl rotating cats, 12 mos zero on purchases, 14 mos zero int on bt's

I burned Chase big time so i'm probably banned for life.

I understand at 5 years citi and amex are a consideration.

my scores are high600's and income mid 30's overall util 24 percent and dti 8 - 9 pct

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: After how many years does ch7 Bankruptcy lose impact on CC applications (specifically Apple Card

I agree with the above post. From reading many posts on here some cards that you my have included in your BK can ban you for life.

I have heard this can be true at Chase, AX, and Discover to mention  a few.

I would suggest you post on here these types of specific questions before you apply with the larger lenders.

Thanks

Mark

Message 3 of 5
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

The first 7 years will be very hard. Years 7-10 I was able to get approved for larger banks like Citi with recon. I am not sure if Chase will even approve with a BL actively showing on your report. I know some people have been approved, but that's not the norm. BofA wasn't willing to approved until the BK came off. Last spring mine came off. It fell off Experian 9.5 years from the date of filing. TransUnion came off 9.7 and Equifax came off around 9 years 10 months. It's a long journey. There is life after BK. Just do what you can to get approvals and build your credit back up. 

JR
Message 4 of 5
Hex
Valued Contributor

You should have nothing to lose as far as applying for the Apple Card because it's a soft pull unless you are approved and you accept. They even show you your credit limit and APR before you decide to accept or not. If I really wanted the Apple Card I'd apply once a month until they said yes. As far as your other cards go you should have all of them report a zero balance except for one and let that card report a small amount like $10 or so. After the one card reports the small balance pay it to zero so you won't have to pay any interest. Doing this (if you aren't already) might boost your score some. Also I read that some people have been approved for this card by putting items in their Apple shopping cart before they apply. If you're approved you don't actually have to purchase the items. Good luck. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.