Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aged Off Discovers Black List

tag
highlow1
Valued Member

Aged Off Discovers Black List

Hi All,

Just wanted to share that I was on Discovers Black List for about 7 years. In March of 2015 I opened a secured Discover IT card for $200.00. Unfortuantely, back then I was a bit irressponsible and made a payment when I knew it wouldn't clear so I could utilize the credit limit. (whenever you'd make a payment they'd free up the limit the next day). OBVIOUSLY DONT DO THIS. 

Long story short, the account charged-off at the end of 2015, and I didn't pay the card off IN FULL until February of 2017.

From February 2017 until Present Day 2022 I have tried applying for a Discover Card by utilziing the "prequalification tool" and it would always return back with 

"Due to the status of a prior/exisisting discover card" we cannot approve you at this time.

WELL, on January 21st 2022, I went to their site and did the "prequalification" and it returned back with a new denial "Recent Deliquency Shown on Credit File" - which is true I have a recent 30 day on my auto loan with Capital One due to job loss b/c of the pandemic. My last prequalification with the old "Due to the status of a prior/exisisting discover card" was last month in December of 2021. 

Also, another awesome thing to note, that old Discover record was deleted off all three credit-bureaus this month (January 2022).

But luckily I have a new job now and can get eveyrthing squared away. I am going to wait until June this year (2022) to run my credit through their prequalification tool and see what I get! 

There is hope! I cannot wait to restart my journey with them! Stay Tuned!

Scores as of 02/08/2022

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Aged Off Discovers Black List

I am glad that it aged off your reports. However, Discover has a very long memory. They go by internal records. If they take you on with even a secured card it would be very rare. Just dont count on it. It just may be wise to go with another bank that would accept you that you never had a prior relationship with.

Thanks

Mark

Message 2 of 37
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Discover doesn't have a long memory lol . There are several members who have gotten discover after including them in BK 2-3 years out .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

Discover doesn't have a long memory lol . There are several members who have gotten discover after including them in BK 2-3 years out .

The OP did not say he did a BK which would be a discharge of the debt. The OP stated that he paid the old account. A BK may allow people back in but I have yet to see a paid CO that allowed someone back into Discover. I wonder who's memory is in question.

Thanks

Mark

Message 4 of 37
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

If the OP had screwed up with Chase or AMEX I might be inclined to agree with you but not Discover.

3/3/24
Message 5 of 37
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

The OP did not say he did a BK which would be a discharge of the debt. The OP stated that he paid the old account. A BK may allow people back in but I have yet to see a paid CO that allowed someone back into Discover. I wonder who's memory is in question.

Thanks

Mark

Play nice please

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 37
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I am well aware what a discharged debt is. While YMMV there are members who have gotten discover after having a charge off , rare yes but it happens . And paying off the charge off increases their chances .

Thank goodness my memory is in tact , but thanks for the concern .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 37
ahleahsis
Established Member

I remember seeing a post on here about someone getting back with Disco after a CO after about 10 years. I have a paid CO with them too from 2017. Hoping to get back with them at least with a secured card when it falls off my report in 2024.

Message 8 of 37
RASULL12
Contributor

I had a charge off from discover that first went delinquent in 2013. It was for less then $1,000. I never paid it but I was just able to get back in with discover in November with a $3,000 credit limit. This is my lowest credit limit but we'll see how it grows over time if it does. For right now I'm happy with the 10% cash back for the categories through the first year.

Message 9 of 37
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

It's crazy to me that a bk is welcomed back with open arms more than a CO lol. I IIB them on my bankruptcy 

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.