Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska Airlines VS card denial

tag
jwa77
Contributor

Alaska Airlines VS card denial

"too many accounts were recently opened," (on actual credit cards, I believe I am 6/24)

To be fair, I was warned about this behavior by someone here, so I'm not super upset.  I take responsibilty for this mistake.

However, I was unware that BofA had an X/24 rule and I'm frustrated that they have no customer service phone number for recon--only an address to write. 

Have already written a sharply worded letter (but have not sent it) criticizing them for the lack of a recon line in 2019 and the lack of transparency on credit requirements but I know on the latter point, it's possibly unreasonable for me to expect them to dislcose their "requirements," as to protect their "process."  Do you think they'll remove the hard pull or am I smoking crack?

PS -- I recently got a targeted offer for this card with a "reservation number," but it appears the data they were using was from Feb (right before ALL of the cards I just opened."  I think it's also ridiculous that in 2019, the marketing divisions of these financial instituions can't get their mass mailers out sooner so that there's less chance of a denial on a "pre-approved offer." 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Alaska Airlines VS card denial

Unfortunately, since you submitted a legitimate application request, they will not remove the inquiry - it's considered permissible purpose. Thankfully, some resources, like DoC for instance, provide a 'heads up' with a plethora of data points before folks take the plunge. It's up to the individual to assess that risk, of course.

Also, no lender is obligated to provide a method to reconsider system-declined applications. As more lenders drive AI into their UW algorithms and processes, most have reduced overhead staff that would ordinarily perform manual or secondary reviews. And, while you can send them a letter to express your grievances, they are not going to disclose proprietary information or internal policies to leverage or game the system.

That being said, whenever those reasons are typically listed, they are not prone to reconsideration.
Message 2 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Smoking crackSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@jwa77 wrote:

"too many accounts were recently opened," (on actual credit cards, I believe I am 6/24)

To be fair, I was warned about this behavior by someone here, so I'm not super upset.  I take responsibilty for this mistake.

However, I was unware that BofA had an X/24 rule and I'm frustrated that they have no customer service phone number for recon--only an address to write. 

Have already written a sharply worded letter (but have not sent it) criticizing them for the lack of a recon line in 2019 and the lack of transparency on credit requirements but I know on the latter point, it's possibly unreasonable for me to expect them to dislcose their "requirements," as to protect their "process."  Do you think they'll remove the hard pull or am I smoking crack?

PS -- I recently got a targeted offer for this card with a "reservation number," but it appears the data they were using was from Feb (right before ALL of the cards I just opened."  I think it's also ridiculous that in 2019, the marketing divisions of these financial instituions can't get their mass mailers out sooner so that there's less chance of a denial on a "pre-approved offer." 

Hi OP

On the one hand you acknowledge that a forum member warned you of risky behavior, but then on rhe other hand you berate AA for taking action to mitigate that risky behavior. 

Please note that a CCC does not have to recon any disapproval—it’s a courtesy—so really no need for them to provide a telephone number. The reason they don’t may be that they hope it would dissuade anyone from writing, which I’d like to take this opportunity to persuade you not to send a sharply worded letter. 

IMHO, I think you should view it for what it really is. You got a little carried away and started applying for several cards in a short periof of time. That’s ok. Quite a few of us have done that. But we come here for a reason—to ask questions and get answers from those “in the know.” You neglected to heed that advice. So, again, IMHO, I say just fully accept this blame as yours alone and treat it as a valuable lesson learned. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 6
jwa77
Contributor

no arguments from me on the points brought up here, i appreciate them. HOwever, I will state that I never found any evidence on here and other blogs I read that BofA and anyone else BUT chase has a 5/24 or simliar rule....so...take from that what you may--can we say they do then?

Message 5 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jwa77 wrote:

no arguments from me on the points brought up here, i appreciate them. HOwever, I will state that I never found any evidence on here and other blogs I read that BofA and anyone else BUT chase has a 5/24 or simliar rule....so...take from that what you may--can we say they do then?

Well, there's never been anything officially declared by BoA that 'quantifies' such a rule.  More or less DPs that have streamed through blogs or other sources for declined applications citing too many accounts and/or inquiries in the past 6-12 months.  Keep in mind that outcomes will vary since there are some individuals that have been able to circumvent such a restriction.  It's all profile dependent. 

As an example, I was approved for a BoA biz card back in April, and so did other members (and believe me, I had several new accounts reporting in the past 12 months) - plus typically BoA biz CCs are much harder to obtain.  However, other folks didn't have a favorable outcome, so again YEMV.   Also worth noting that while the prevalent [too many accounts/inqs] main reason may be cited, there are other reasons that they are basing their decision to decline the application.  A mystery as always!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.