Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska Airlines Visa Signature denial

tag
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Alaska Airlines Visa Signature denial

I have applied for this card before, but figured I could try again and see what I could get. I was instantly denied for it. I opened a Student checking account today so hoping I can get some money in there and get that started to try to get approved later in the future. Thankfully I'm not going on a trip relatively soon but hoping I can get the card and get my points accumulated once I am able to travel again. Does anybody have any luck with reconsideration? I am afraid to call them back and ask just to get shut down again.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Alaska Airlines Visa Signature denial

It depends on the reason(s) your application was denied.  In the majority of cases, they're not that flexible with reconsiderations as in the past, but you can try and see what they say.  This particular card (personal and biz) is a bit of a challenge to obtain for a lot of folks (not quite like Premium Rewards or KLM/Air France). 

Also, parking a nominal value of deposits in your student account may still not place you on the radar, just FYI.

Message 2 of 8
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

It depends on the reason(s) your application was denied.  In the majority of cases, they're not that flexible with reconsiderations as in the past, but you can try and see what they say.  This particular card (personal and biz) is a bit of a challenge to obtain for a lot of folks (not quite like Premium Rewards or KLM/Air France). 

Also, parking a nominal value of deposits in your student account may still not place you on the radar, just FYI.

For sure, I'm definitely going to try to use the account and show that I'm getting use out of it. I'll look to see what the reasons are and try to call, but I'm not going to be upset if they don't budge. Just seems to me that they're one of the more cost effective cards especially since they have a lot of non-stop flights out of my hometown plus the ability to get a companion fare every year. That easily makes up the annual fee plus more value. 

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 3 of 8
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Not only does BofA like a healthy banking relationship, but they can be new account sensitive. I knew you've opened a few, and looks like 5 in past year. If they are on your radar, might need to do some gardening, letting some cards age.

Message 4 of 8
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

Not only does BofA like a healthy banking relationship, but they can be new account sensitive. I knew you've opened a few, and looks like 5 in past year. If they are on your radar, might need to do some gardening, letting some cards age.

Sounds good, thank you for the information. I imagine they do not re-use hard pulls for other applications? No worries if not. I can just look for other options if necessary.

Message 5 of 8
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Matt9543 wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

Sounds good, thank you for the information. I imagine they do not re-use hard pulls for other applications? No worries if not. I can just look for other options if necessary.

They won't reuse HP. Recent DP have shown they follow 3/12 for new accounts, for those without banking relationship, and 7/12 for those with established relationship. As always, experience will be YMMV.

Message 6 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

@Matt9543 wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

They won't reuse HP. Recent DP have shown they follow 3/12 for new accounts, for those without banking relationship, and 7/12 for those with established relationship. As always, experience will be YMMV.

The 3/12 and 7/12 rules aren't cast in concrete but one needs a sufficiently thick profile (or in the case of 7/12 be a sufficiently profitable client) for them to be overridden.  Historically BoA would reuse a hard pull for 30 days, but I've also seen enough recent reports that strongly infer this has also become a thing of the past.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As the OP has posted in the Approvals forum, this thread is now closed to new messages.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.