Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Altitude Reserve denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Altitude Reserve denial

Welp, tried for the AR and denied for too many new accounts in 12 months. I tried to recon, and the rep said they won't recon when the denial is too many new accounts. I was hoping I'd get a break since US Bank has been my main institution for 12 years. I have checking, savings, a platinum card, and the cash+.

DPs: pulled EX (my fico 8 is 747, but pretty sure they pull 9)
Inquiries on EX: 4
New accts: 3/6, 5/12, 7/24
Income: $65000

I may try calling again to get a different CSR and see if that changes things. I have zero travel cards and fly domestically at least 6 times a year. The AR would suit my needs perfectly.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Altitude Reserve denial

@Anonymous wrote:
Welp, tried for the AR and denied for too many new accounts in 12 months. I tried to recon, and the rep said they won't recon when the denial is too many new accounts. I was hoping I'd get a break since US Bank has been my main institution for 12 years. I have checking, savings, a platinum card, and the cash+.

DPs: pulled EX (my fico 8 is 747, but pretty sure they pull 9)
Inquiries on EX: 4
New accts: 3/6, 5/12, 7/24
Income: $65000

I may try calling again to get a different CSR and see if that changes things. I have zero travel cards and fly domestically at least 6 times a year. The AR would suit my needs perfectly.

Sorry to hear that OP

I think to Qualify for The Altitude Reserve, I heard or Read They want 0/6,

I could be wrong. But i am fairly sure on that.

and being its a card you could really utilize, well that just stinks!

EDIT: 0/6 Approval

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/U-S-Bank-Altitude-Reserve-Approval/m-p/5412778#M568711

Message 2 of 22
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

I read that too but was recently denied the AR for "too many accounts" and I was 0/8. Letter specifically stated "too many accounts in last 12 months." Pulled EQ FICO9 score of 757.

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I think to Qualify for The Altitude Reserve, I heard or Read They want 0/6, I could be wrong. But i am fairly sure on that. and being its a card you could really utilize, well that just stinks!

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard in the past that they are more lenient with new accts/inquiries if you have a relationship with the bank. It seems this has tightened up just in the last month.

Does anyone have any tips for asking for recon or at least getting a manual review? I'm not great at talking to people on the phone.
Message 4 of 22
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

One must have an existing relationship to even qualify/apply for the card. So... No.

Regarding your other question about getting a Manual Review, there is no "secret sauce." Call UW and request it. 

@Anonymous wrote:
I've heard in the past that they are more lenient with new accts/inquiries if you have a relationship with the bank.

Message 5 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

The US Bank leash seems to have gotten tighter around the beginning of the year 

If you call back, your first hurdle will be convincing them to send it back for review. If they now have an internal policy in place that states " No reviews if over X number of accounts", you probably wont have much luck. 

While they still allow for recon and manual review, that may no longer be applicable to all denial reasons. 

Another thing, manual review can cause a second HP for some people. If you get another one and still no approval, your next attempt at AR application may be hampered by "Too many inq" 🤷

I personally think you should wait.  I am sitting in the garden's  naughty chair because of this card (groveling on average 7 hrs each day) and my only account under 6 months is Cash+. I dont really see myself trying till November, at which time I'll have only one account under a year...and I still expect a denial. 

If you want to give it another shot, go ahead. I hope you're successful and we get an approval thread and more data points. 

As far as recon, I did have to talk to underwriter, it was basically an interrogation and it went in many directions from employment, income, need for new accounts etc.  

Message 6 of 22
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly I am having a touch time seeing the allure to this card still.. Unless you use Samsung pay pretty much exclusively then card seems kinda meh to me?  Doesn't the CSR pretty much beat it out on everything due to primary rental card insurance along with unlimited priority pass and not near as stingy as Us Bank is to "most" customers?  I am really curious what makes this attractive to alot of people as hey ya be kinda neat as has a lower AF then other premium cards such as CSR/Crystal Bank and other similar cards.  Just tring to see what i am missing here?  It could be that i am just very slow at seeing something that is looking me straight in the eyes that I am missing.   I am willing to overlook that i despise us bank as well if card is awesome Smiley Happy. Thanks!

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, I use Samsung Pay everywhere. I am a discount flyer and would prefer not to have to deal with transferring points to partners. AR also has primary rental car coverage, and only a $75 annual fee after travel credit. And Chase isn't for everyone 🤷🏽
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW, US Bank told me the same thing they told you, that they can’t recon for new accounts, both when I applied in April and again when I applied earlier this month (when I was told instead of 6 months for new accounts they now look at 12 months like you were told also) and then when the letter came, it said too many inquiries instead of too many accounts... I have shelved the idea of the Cash+ indefinitely as a result.
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I called the other number listed in the backdoor # thread. The CSR was really nice, but same answer, no recon. She did sort of slip when she was talking to me and made it sound that 4/12 new accounts is the cut off (of course I have 5). She added that I did not need to wait for all of them to turn a year old, just "most" of them.

Well, guess I'll try again Decemberish. Meanwhile I'll keep paying for flights with a regular ol' cash back card like a chump.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.