Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I out of luck with capital one??? And weird credit score

tag
folks19
Frequent Contributor

Am I out of luck with capital one??? And weird credit score

I just filled out the pre approved on c1's website and I got denied for the following reason:

• Based on your credit report from one or more of the agencies below, there are too many new revolving accounts

I have 8 credit cards. Am I out of luck for a capital one card? Or will this go away soon? My most recent card was opened 2 months ago.

I also noticed that the score there provided me with wasn't the regular FICO score. It's a score that goes from 309 until 839. The source for the score was Trasunion Consumer Relations. Anyone ever heard of this score? I thought the big banks all use FICO.

11 REPLIES 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Am I out of luck with capital one??? And weird credit score

@folks19 wrote:

I just filled out the pre approved on c1's website and I got denied for the following reason:

• Based on your credit report from one or more of the agencies below, there are too many new revolving accounts

I have 8 credit cards. Am I out of luck for a capital one card? Or will this go away soon? My most recent card was opened 2 months ago.

I also noticed that the score there provided me with wasn't the regular FICO score. It's a score that goes from 309 until 839. The source for the score was Trasunion Consumer Relations. Anyone ever heard of this score? I thought the big banks all use FICO.

839 appears to be a Transunion FICO 4 score.

Perhaps, wait at least 6 months if not longer and try the pre-qualification site in the future to see if you have any offers before actually applying?

Message 2 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As suggested upthread as far as gardening, of the 8 credit cards, how many of those did you open in the past 12 months?

Message 3 of 12
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@folks19 wrote:

Perhaps, wait at least 6 months if not longer and try the pre-qualification site in the future to see if you have any offers before actually applying?

+1 to them using TU FICO 4, and +1 to them being new account sensitive. I tested this myself last fall when I crossed the 6 months since new account mark. I have no interest in another Cap1 card, just wanted to confirm DPs I had been reading about them. When I tried the pre-approval site before my new accounts turned 6 months it was no dice. Reasons they gave were new accounts and number of inqs. I tried again after 6 months and had instant pre-approval. Now to add another +1 to Finstars advice to garden. If you have 8 open cards, why are you going for a Cap1 card? Unless it's the Venture or Savor and looking for a nice SUB. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 4 of 12
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 I'm interested in the sign up bonus.

Small update: I checked the pre approval again, and this time I got pre approved for the secured card... 8 cards and a 740 FICO...

The interesting part is that I was denied for the secured card a while back when I was building.

Message 5 of 12
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@folks19 wrote:

Also keep in mind that Capital One will do a triple pull, resulting in an inquiry at all 3 CBA's.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 6 of 12
MrZero
Regular Contributor

The triple pull and out of date info I was provided/read is what made me regret getting CapOne's secured card. Also why I kind of lost interest in applying for Savor at some point. 

IMO they're one you really have to consider if the pulls are worth it, especially while building or rebuilding. 

Updated 8/12/22.

Total Inquiries: EX: 1|TU: 1|EQ: 1
Derogs: 0
AAoA: 2Y1M
AoOA: 2Y6M.
AoYA: 1Y1M.
Total CL: 57,600
Utilization: ~1%

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

@folks19 wrote:

Also keep in mind that Capital One will do a triple pull, resulting in an inquiry at all 3 CBA's.

Eek. Good to know. 🙏🏻

Message 8 of 12
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@folks19 thank you for updating with DPs, thats great info. I know you said you have 8 open accounts, and that the most recent was from 2 months ago, but could you tell us how many you have opened within the last 6 months, and the last 12 months? Those specifics could be super helpful for other members asking the same questions. This may mean that Cap1 is loosening up a bit on new apps with cards opened under 6 months now. Thank you for you input, always much appreciated! 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

For DPs and giggles, I just ran a prequal. Scores and UTI in sig below. Account-wise I am:

1/3

5/6

6/12

They offered me a secured card lol. No interest in apping with them anyhow as I am not in the least impressed with anything they offer. I did it for the DPs for those looking. Hope it helps someone.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.