Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express 2nd card:

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express 2nd card:

Hello everyone! First time posting but long time forum enthusiast.

A little backstory for everyone. I had open heart surgery and all of my credit cards from 2013 went to collections and charge offs. Over 10 credit cards and one home foreclosed. All paid by 2014 in full. But the damage was done...

Never Late on Amex Gold and Auto loans Amex did impose a hard limit of $2000.00 on Amex Gold in 2013 and it remained until 2019-

Fast forward 2022- 

All baddies and collections are removed and scores are in the lower 700s across all CB. Low Debt to Income... 3% reported and I've rebuilt with navy fed and others. 

American Express will not approve me for a revolver. Ive applied for 3 cards over the last year with Amex. 

Amex Gold is PIF each month and spend 15k each month on the card. High annual salary.

What can I do? Just asking for some advice.

thanks you!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express 2nd card:

Hi @Anonymous, welcome to the forums.

You mentioned AENB imposed a hard limit on your Gold Card until 2019. Has that hard limit been removed?

You also mentioned that you had applied 3 separate times last year, but didn't elaborate on the reasons for each denial. Can you expand on those 3 attempts, please? 

Message 2 of 5
bigseegar
Established Contributor

You'll just have to wait it out until they're ready. No one can really tell you how long that will be. Took me 19 years to get back in with them. Not saying at all it will take you that long but their memory is long.

Message 3 of 5
Spectre7_Reup
Established Member

I'm inclined to agree with @bigseegar on AMEX's long memory. I took me nearly 20 years to get an approval, and that was after burning them on a Gold Card for roughly $2K. And over the years, I've had scores in the mid 700s, no negative marks, <5% util, with income well over $100K.

Providing some additional DPs might help though. @FinStar has helped many a wayward soul...including me, LoL 😂😎

Cards I currently have:
BoA Cash Rewards MC: $5K | BoA BankAmericard Platinum Plus MC: $14K | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa: $11K | USAA Signature Visa: $5.7K | Wells Fargo Platinum Visa: $6K | Credit One AMEX: $1K | Synchrony Car Care: $2.5K | Best Buy Retail Card: $5K | X1 Visa: $24K | Venmo Visa: $11K | AMEX BCP: $1K

Total Credit Lines: $87,200 (2 unlisted)
Message 4 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone! First time posting but long time forum enthusiast.

A little backstory for everyone. I had open heart surgery and all of my credit cards from 2013 went to collections and charge offs. Over 10 credit cards and one home foreclosed. All paid by 2014 in full. But the damage was done...

Never Late on Amex Gold and Auto loans Amex did impose a hard limit of $2000.00 on Amex Gold in 2013 and it remained until 2019-

Fast forward 2022- 

All baddies and collections are removed and scores are in the lower 700s across all CB. Low Debt to Income... 3% reported and I've rebuilt with navy fed and others. 

American Express will not approve me for a revolver. Ive applied for 3 cards over the last year with Amex. 

Amex Gold is PIF each month and spend 15k each month on the card. High annual salary.

What can I do? Just asking for some advice.

thanks you!

Me I would stop thinking about Amex revolvers unless and until I had a preapproval.

And probably I would stop thinking about them altogether, as (a) there's nothing so special about any of them and (b) you honored all your obligations to Amex despite your hard times, so there's no reason for them to blackball you.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.