Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card

tag
Sbrav77
Contributor

American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card

I have recently paid off a decent amount of credit card debt. Approximately $20,000 worth. My overall utilization went from around 31% down to approximately 13%. So far raising my FICO 8 scores from around 692 average up to about a 708 between the 3. MyFico is still showing a 20% utilization as not all the cards are reported yet. On a whim, I did the preapproval app for the American Express Blue Cash Everyday card and was approved. Before my utilization drop, I was denied. I didn't pull the trigger for the hard pull application yet. Would it be beneficial to wait until the other cards are updated and my FICO utilization drops from 20% to 13% before taking the hard pull and tapping? I have one personal loan with Penfed I owe about 18,000 on besides my credit card debt. No other debts reported and an income of about $75,000/year. I live alone so no household income to add in. This would be my first ever American Express card. Also, how easy is it to grow limits once you have your foot in the door.

8 REPLIES 8
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card

@Sbrav77 wrote:

I have recently paid off a decent amount of credit card debt. Approximately $20,000 worth. My overall utilization went from around 31% down to approximately 13%. So far raising my FICO 8 scores from around 692 average up to about a 708 between the 3. MyFico is still showing a 20% utilization as not all the cards are reported yet. On a whim, I did the preapproval app for the American Express Blue Cash Everyday card and was approved. Before my utilization drop, I was denied. I didn't pull the trigger for the hard pull application yet. Would it be beneficial to wait until the other cards are updated and my FICO utilization drops from 20% to 13% before taking the hard pull and tapping? I have one personal loan with Penfed I owe about 18,000 on besides my credit card debt. No other debts reported and an income of about $75,000/year. I live alone so no household income to add in. This would be my first ever American Express card. Also, how easy is it to grow limits once you have your foot in the door.

image.png

I would wait for all of your payments to reflect your new utlization before applying.

But look for this language when you apply so even if rejected, there won't be a hard credit pull. There shouldn't be. There might be a double EX+TU pull however.

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

If you're already preapproved, you're good. Waiting probably wouldn't make a difference except maybe in terms of APR/SL.

And it's fairly easy to grow your cards with Amex as long as you use it responsibly and keep utilization low/PIF.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 9
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

@Sbrav77 wrote:

Wait for your reports to update and then go for it. Getting in with Amex is well worth the wait. 

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 4 of 9
805orbust
Valued Contributor

While I think you're good either way, I always err on the side of caution, and would wait. Amex is awesome for raising limits with positive history. My EDP started as an ED at $1000 and is now at $27,000 so yeah, highly recommend. 

Message 5 of 9
Sbrav77
Contributor

I pulled the trigger and was given a starting CL of $1,000. Gonna use it lightly and make sure to pif each month.

Message 6 of 9
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Congrats.  After 7 months you can request an increase and they'll most likely triple that limit. 

Message 7 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Sbrav77 wrote:

I pulled the trigger and was given a starting CL of $1,000. Gonna use it lightly and make sure to pif each month.

If you can afford to, I'd use it heavily and PIF for best results. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As the OP has indicated they've been approved, this thread is now locked and closed to new messages.

@Sbrav77 - Congrats on the BCE approval. Feel free to start a new thread in the Approvals section if you wish to do so.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.