Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express - Declined

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express - Declined

If you just want 2% Back on groceries with a bonus you can open a BofA checking account and apply for a Cash Rewards card. Also has 3% for gas.
Message 41 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a platinum honors account with B of A already and there cash rewards visa (3% back on gas, 2% on groceries, 1% everything else + 75% bonus for being platinum honors) it wasnt the point. Was the fact that ive built relationships back up with every lender I had prior to the BK years ago except for Amex and I was trying to mend fences / get back in there good graces so that I could eventually get the delta reserve card back.
Message 42 of 74
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a platinum honors account with B of A already and there cash rewards visa (3% back on gas, 2% on groceries, 1% everything else + 75% bonus for being platinum honors) it wasnt the point. Was the fact that ive built relationships back up with every lender I had prior to the BK years ago except for Amex and I was trying to mend fences / get back in there good graces so that I could eventually get the delta reserve card back.

Forgot Citi.. Doubt you will ever get that one back if you or your business partner burnt them from 50k-300k depending on how you look at it..

Really it comes down to whether you will pay them $1200 back.. I am not a lawyer, but I find it hard to phantom how Citi could get their 300k back as a result of you paying back Amex as it was DISCHARGED.  Many people have burnt lenders in BK's and choose to pay back X lender to get back in..  You might want to talk to another BK attorney as this seems to not make sense.   Or as others stated wait around 10-20 years after you defaulted with Amex and you have a chance of getting back in.  As stated earlier they have a very long memory jus tike Chase, Citi, Barclay's, etc.

Message 43 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Forgot Citi.. Doubt you will ever get that one back if you or your business partner burnt them from 50k-300k depending on how you look at it..

Really it comes down to whether you will pay them $1200 back.. I am not a lawyer, but I find it hard to phantom how Citi could get their 300k back as a result of you paying back Amex as it was DISCHARGED.  Many people have burnt lenders in BK's and choose to pay back X lender to get back in..  You might want to talk to another BK attorney as this seems to not make sense.   Or as others stated wait around 10-20 years after you defaulted with Amex and you have a chance of getting back in.  As stated earlier they have a very long memory jus tike Chase, Citi, Barclay's, etc.

Paying them back after discharge is not an issue (IANAL) and the other creditors cannot come back on you. However, before discharge and during BK you cannot show preference to one lender over the other as it comes the other cause for argument since they are all the same type of debt (unsercured) if you are filing BK it really is not fair to one credit card bank to be burnt when another cc bank gets paid.

Not that they will win the argument but back in the day that was what I was told and I could be completely incorrect but it actually makes a bit of sense.

Message 44 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your sense of entitlement is the last thing that will help you with Amex.  You burned them and they have chosen to hold a grudge, get over it.  You are not in a special situation here, you are among a group of prior customers who have the same odds facing them with regards to getting back in with Amex.

You are post BK and the other creditors could take no actions on you.  If you want back in with Amex that bad then pay them, and then enjoy the wait.  I would avoid telling them how bad they were years ago as a starter.  Amex was far from the only major bank not doing things on the up-and-up.

Message 45 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They told you what to do if you wanted to kiss and makeup.

Message 46 of 74
Fitzgibbons
New Contributor

You sound like a jailhouse lawyer

Message 47 of 74
UncleB
Credit Mentor

This thread is a bit all-over the place, and while I love a good debate several of the posts so far have been (seriously) pushing the boundaries of FSR.

I'm not sure how much more can be said about this topic, as 'forward motion' seems to have stopped.  I'll just add that at some point we have to "agree to disagree" and simply move on. 

Thanks for understanding.  Smiley Wink

Message 48 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

For all of you who think you know it all with American Express, I just called them. I got transfered through collections, to recovery, to Oasis program. I spoke with this lady who was very candid with me. She said accounts included in Bankruptcy are not eilgable for the Oasis program and even if I paid the balance in full the company policy is to not reissue any new cards to any customer who has included any account in bankruptcy again regardless.

So for all of you who are saying there telling me what to do to kiss and make up, clearly you dont know what your talking about.

Message 49 of 74
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

warning.gif

Message 50 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.