cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Gold - Is it worth is for our family who loves to travel?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Gold - Is it worth is for our family who loves to travel?

American Express send me a link basing off the way I spend that I should try to apply for the Gold card. 

I was looking at the card and saw that they have an annual fee. I don't like cards with annual fees. However, the promotion is tempting. 

• Get up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points. After you spend $5,000 on eligible qualifying purchases with the Card within the first three months of Card Membership, you can get 50,000 Membership Rewards points. In addition, after you spend an extra $5,000 on eligible qualifying purchases with the Card within that same time period you can get an extra 25,000 Membership Rewards points. This offer can equal a total of 75,000 Membership Rewards points. Your application must be received by June 25, 2016 to be eligible for this offer.1

A few things first: We love to travel. One - two vacations a year, soon we will be doing overseas traveling. We are a small family so it works for us and we love doing it. We love Disneyland and Disneyworld. The resorts are expensive but we book them anyway! I have no travel cards believe it or not. This will be my first one.  
How do I offset the annual fee? Make everyday purchases, pay bills, etc.  and then pay it off and wait for the points to rack up? We don't like carrying a balance so this card will work for our family as well. Any thoughts of suggestions?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express Gold - Is it worth is for our family who loves to travel?

That's a decent offer, so if it fits your needs I say go for it.

Message 2 of 7
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Take a moment and expand your search:

Barclay Arrival +: Flexible redemptions 40,000 point (worth about $400 in travel) sign on for $3,000 spend ($95 AF)

Chase Saphire: 50,000 points for $4,000 spend (worth $625 in travel) 0 AF first year $95 after 1st year.

Citi Prestige: 50,000 points (good for up to an $800 flight on AA) $495 AF but automatic $250 airline fee reimbursement 

Venture One: 40,000 points for $3,000 spend (can use to reimburse travel or for gift cards (think Christmas shopping)) Worth around $400 AF $59

No issue with AMEX, but slow the roll and check out some additional options.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a big Amex proponent so maybe take what I say with a grain of salt. I think the travel cards that Amex has are great. They have such a variety of travel products I think it's a no brainier to reach for Amex for travel needs. My wife and I have an Amex Delta Gold for airline tickets and general spend. I've been eyeing the Amex PRG card quite a bit in recent months, but can't really figure out where it would fit into my spend pattern to make it work for me. Although I think the product itself is great. Just my two cents. I do like that the MR points you get with the PRG can transfer to many different hotel and airline partners. Good luck with your decision!
Message 4 of 7
jbsea
Established Contributor

Like Billyboyblue, I'm too a Amex fan.  I use my PRG / ED card as my go to cards.  I love the MR points and when combined with the Delta card it's a great card.  Even if you dont use Delta the 3x for buying tickets with the PRG is awesome.  Plus the $100 airline credit is a nice perk.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 5 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I like that offer, even though I don't fly. If you think it would benefit you, it might be worth looking in to.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for your input. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.