Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Gold Pre-Approval offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Gold Pre-Approval offer

How easy is it to obtain an American Express Gold or Platinum card?

My husband said it was one of the hardest ones to get until. I have an everyday cash back card and an everyday rewards card.

I recently was denied for the Cap 1 venture card but I’ve been getting mailings from American Express for over 2 years about applying for the gold or platinum card.

Stating that I am pre-approved

Are these pay off each month cards?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express Gold Pre-Approval offer

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband said it was one of the hardest ones to get until. I have an everyday cash back card and an everyday rewards card.

I recently was denied for the Cap 1 venture card but I’ve been getting mailings from American Express for over 2 years about applying for the gold or platinum card.

Yes they are charge cards that you pay off each month.  There is a pay over time feature however but that will certainly cost you some interest.

Message 2 of 18
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AMEX Gold and Plat are Charge Cards. In general you are expected to PIF each month. Now, once you have established a relationship between yourself and AMEX, AMEX may or may not allow you to participate in POT and that usually carries a heftier than average APR. YMMV of course.

Good Luck!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay that is what I thought. Thank you for your response.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I heard of the POT and that is not what I would like to do and would not use this card for anything I wasn’t able to pay off within that month.
Message 5 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

The Plat and Gold are not necessarily that hard to get per se. Same underwriting as the Green. Main difference are the annual fees. If your profile supports it ie score, income etc, you should be sble to get one or the other or even both. Its not true thst yoy need to have a revolver to obtain one. Good luckSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you are pre-approved on the website and apply will that be a hard or soft pull?  I have a preapproval for the Platinum but wasnt sure about the inquiry portion of it.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you haven't had an Amex card account in the past then most likely your first approval will be a hard inquiry.
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had the Everday Cash for nearly 3 years but was just asking.  Found another post that states it is a soft pull if declined and hard pull if approved.  Thanks for the help.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely a soft pull if declined, but an approval often is also a SP since you’re an existing Amex member with some history. As someone else said, go in expecting an HP and rejoice if it’s a SP.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.