Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Hilton Surpass

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Hilton Surpass

Ugh guys.

I am working on my Hilton points and status. Already had three stays this year for multiple days in three different states for work and vacations.
I have another vacation to Chicago in March so I thought to apply for a Hilton Surpass and I was INSTANTLY DENIED!!!!😭😭😭😡😡😡. I haven’t been denied a card in years...

My FICO from Amex is 738 (mainly due to 3 cards I just opened up in last two months.)
I have 5 inquiries this year on transunion this year.

Anyways I called Amex and they connected me with a credit analyst who said he will add a note and send it over to UW. and I will receive an email in 3-5 days.
Literally the ONLY reason it said in denial letter is “Length of time you have been a customer with American Express is too short”

WTH guys, I’ve been with Amex as a AU since 2005. A primary holder this year. They thank me for being a member since 2005 when I call or chat re: questions I have with my Amex card.

I’m just annoyed.

Any suggestions or helpful hints? When I called I talked about my long history with Amex and how I love Amex and Hilton Brands 😅😅😅 and appreciate the partnership they have.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: American Express Hilton Surpass

You might have had a card since 2005, but you've only had your own account for less than a year. Your payment history was really that of the person that made you AU as they are expected to pay.

Message 2 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

From an UW perspective, AU AmEx history is not taken into consideration when evaluating an application hence the reason cited as you became a cardmember this year. 

Hopefully you'll hear a good outcome with the re-review of the app, but just something to keep in mind.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully you’ll hear good news from Amex after review.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So i checked online to see this denial

“ Thank you for applying for Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card. We are writing to let you know that, unfortunately, we cannot approve your application at this time.
Â
Reason(s) for Our Decision
Â
Our scoring of your credit and other relevant information (see below)
Â
We evaluated your application using a credit scoring system that considers various pieces of information, including your credit report. The following key factors contributed to our evaluation:
Â
The length of time you have been a customer with American Express is too short.
Â
Information About Your FICO® Score
We obtained your FICO score from Experian and used it in making our credit decision. Your FICO score is a number that reflects the information in your credit report. Your FICO score can change, depending on how the information in your credit report changes. On November 20, 2019, your FICO score was 738. The FICO score ranges from 300 to 850. The following are the key factors that contributed to your FICO score:”

Ugh this sucks.

Odd considering they just gave me a Delta Amex last month. Then again that’s probably why.

Suggestions people? I have a trip in March coming up with a Hilton property
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hilton Amex recon denied suggestions?

I applied for Hilton Surpass for initial denial. Called for reconsideration, they sent it to UW. Last Friday.

i checked online today to see this denial agin. Ruined my day.

“ Thank you for applying for Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card. We are writing to let you know that, unfortunately, we cannot approve your application at this time.
Â
Â
Â
We evaluated your application using a credit scoring system that considers various pieces of information, including your credit report. The following key factors contributed to our evaluation:
Â
Â
We obtained your FICO score from Experian and used it in making our credit decision. Your FICO score is a number that reflects the information in your credit report. Your FICO score can change, depending on how the information in your credit report changes. On November 20, 2019, your FICO score was 738. The FICO score ranges from 300 to 850. The following are the key factors that contributed to your FICO score:”

Ugh this sucks.

Odd considering they just gave me a Delta Amex last month. Then again that’s probably why.

Message 6 of 10
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: Hilton Amex recon denied suggestions?

Suggest applying in Feb.

Message 7 of 10
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I applied for Hilton Surpass for initial denial. Called for reconsideration, they sent it to UW. Last Friday.

i checked online today to see this denial agin. Ruined my day.

Â
Â
Â
Â
Â

Ugh this sucks.

Try again beginning of February. GL!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I shall! I just want to get the status and bonus points before my 4-star Hilton stay in March ✌🏼✌🏼✌🏼
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My cards say Member Since 2015 because that's when I got a card in Canada. That card, which I cancelled after a year, has no impact on my relationship with Amex in the United States beyond what it says on the card and what agents say on the phone to me.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.