Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express pre-qualify?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express pre-qualify?

I would like to know if I pre-qual for any amex cards. I currently have a delta gold for $1,000 limit. I've had it for years. Balance was always high, but constantly used so it would get paid just to use it again. I never recieved any CLI's on this card, and the couple of times I did try and get one, I was denied. I believe it was due to student loans. Had some prethought excuse and the only one that really made sense was balance of loans higher that original loan or something like that.

Anyway, I googled their pre-qual site and it doesn't really show anything (like it shows nothing, as if its not a pre-qualifying tool). When I log in though. there is my card at the top, then underneath are three other cards, then under that is a section where I can see the full selection of cards that they offer. Nothing on this page actually says pre-qualified or anything. How do I know if I actually prequalify for any of their cards or not. This page makes it look like I'm being suggested a few cards that I pre-qual for, but nothing clearly indicates thats what it is.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express pre-qualify?

@Anonymous wrote:

I would like to know if I pre-qual for any amex cards. I currently have a delta gold for $1,000 limit. I've had it for years. Balance was always high, but constantly used so it would get paid just to use it again. I never recieved any CLI's on this card, and the couple of times I did try and get one, I was denied. I believe it was due to student loans. Had some prethought excuse and the only one that really made sense was balance of loans higher that original loan or something like that.

Anyway, I googled their pre-qual site and it doesn't really show anything (like it shows nothing, as if its not a pre-qualifying tool). When I log in though. there is my card at the top, then underneath are three other cards, then under that is a section where I can see the full selection of cards that they offer. Nothing on this page actually says pre-qualified or anything. How do I know if I actually prequalify for any of their cards or not. This page makes it look like I'm being suggested a few cards that I pre-qual for, but nothing clearly indicates thats what it is.

The $1,000 limit suggests Amex may need to see more positive history before you are given more credit. Also, no guarantee that Amex will only soft pull. Be careful not to hit the final button that actually launches application.

If you find a card on the Amex site, press apply and see this language, very, very, very likely will be a denial.

"Applying to expand your membership with us is easy"

If it says you are "Pre-approved" you will very likely be approved.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I've been with them a couple years. I've had many circumstances where I wanted to use the card to purchase $2-$5k items and they allowed me to make over payments so I can purchase with the card. Never been late. rent a lot of cars with the card so although its usually maxed, its maxed until I pay it off in a few weeks and rent another car. been at under 1% uti as well as my other cards for months now. Not sure what more I could show them. The page that looks like it had suggested cards for me had the blue every day cash card and a platinum delta card upgrade(from my gold). and I believe one other. Went ahead and clicked to apply for the blue card and got the message you mentioned so I figure its most likely a denial.

Message 3 of 4
Rogue46
Established Contributor

You can go through each card and hit apply.  "You are pre-approved". If it doesn't say that it's almost always a denial 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.