Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express preapproval

tag
Working-on-Credit1
New Contributor

American Express preapproval

Question I go to Amex preapproval site from time to time. I always get message that No cards are a match for me. I figured I would try again just to see. This is what I got not sure if I should apply or not. I have a bankruptcy on my report discharged 2015.

CEE54BA9-14FB-4478-B35B-BD8F9BA3F511.jpeg

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express preapproval

Go for it! Worst that can happen is a no. I bet is an approval though.
Message 2 of 17
dragontears
Senior Contributor

You are past the 5 year 1 month minimum waiting period after BK that Amex requires, as long as you didn't include them in your BK your odds are good for approval (assuming there is a fixed APR in the terms) 

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well don’t leave us hanging!! Hit that apply button lol
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with the above. Qualifying questions:

Whats your EX FICO8 score?

overall utilization?

inqyiries in the last 6/12 months?

most recent derog?

Message 5 of 17
Working-on-Credit1
New Contributor

Amex application

Sorry for the long post

I got called Amex received a preapproval the rep told me cards I was preapproved for. She then proceeded with the application read the terms and disclosures to me. She then said she was waiting on the reply then tells me that I have to speak to another dept so they can verify some information. The next rep tells me that they pulled my Experian report and that I have a fraud alert. I thought he meant he couldn't see the report. He said I need to contact Experian and have them put my phone number on my credit file and once they do give it 24hrs then gave me a number to call Amex back. I hope I didn't waste my time and a hard pull for nothing. Smh

Message 6 of 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex application

With a fraud alert on your credit reports - if it's on one it should also be on the reports from the other to major CRAs - creditors are going to take extra steps to verify that it's really you applying for the card. If there are discrepancies in your application vs. what is in your credit report you risk failing verification tests; obviously there was a mismatch in phone numbers so out of caution AMEX noped your application.  

This isn't something to shake your head over, every creditor will do this in order to protect themself and the potential victims from further fraud.

If you don't know why the fraud alert is in place you can ask Experian when you contact them to correct the phone number in your credit report.  Don't be surprised if you have to follow up with a letter including something like a copy of your drivers license and a utility bill with your name on it.

As long as there is a fraud alert in place your applications for credit will be subjected to this higher level of scrutiny so if you plan to continue to apply for credit it behooves you to address this.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

the thread title is "preapproval" but the post says "prequalified".  Absent a hard pull, can someone explain the specifics of the difference? I've always thought of "prequalified" as nothing more than an enticement based on the lender's marketing information. Preapproved seems like they've actually run some numbers.  Of course one could still be denied once all the cards are on the table.

Message 8 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

the thread title is "preapproval" but the post says "prequalified".  Absent a hard pull, can someone explain the specifics of the difference? I've always thought of "prequalified" as nothing more than an enticement based on the lender's marketing information. Preapproved seems like they've actually run some numbers.  Of course one could still be denied once all the cards are on the table.

Honestly the two terms can pretty much be used interchangeably these days, as different lenders use both terms. Usually it means they "actually ran some numbers" and a person has met some preliminary qualifying criteria.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It varies from lender to lender but the difference tends to be along the lines that a prequalification is based on a less detailed review of your specific credit profile so while the odds of approval are still in your favor the accuracy in predicting approval/denial isn't as high as with a preapproval.   You can have a prequalification or preapproval and still be denied.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.