Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 181 days

tag
CantSmashThis
Established Member

Re: Amex 181 days

Maybe because he got another Amex card after 91 days, they denied the CLI?

When I got my Amex, I got 1st CLI in 61 days. Then after 5 months, I got the Amex Platinum. When it was time for the 6 month mark and I went for the next CLI, I got declined. I was assuming because I just got another Amex card. I tried again I believe 4 months later, and got approved for the next 3x CLI.

Message 21 of 29
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

That maybe be true but they will never state that As the reason I am sure.

I honestly was so thrilled to get back in with them and I know we should be patient , but after the crappy CSR I received and now the ignorance of not knowing the "credit steps" program I am starting to think about focusing on our other lines which are much higher and put AMEX in the SD for awhile.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 22 of 29
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

A CSR won't know what Credit Steps is because that's the name of a Capital One program. I don't think AMEX's program has a name.

Message 23 of 29
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thanks didn't know that. Now even though it doesn't have that name they must know what we are talking about, i saw the email sample so something exist, but don't act like I am talking crazy lol.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 24 of 29
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Jnbmom wrote:
Thanks didn't know that. Now even though it doesn't have that name they must know what we are talking about, i saw the email sample so something exist, but don't act like I am talking crazy lol.

I agree that they should have been able to 'figure out' what you were talking about by the description, but unfortunately that's not always the case (especially if there's a language barrier).  It seems that anytime there's a reference to 'credit steps' (which is a Capital One term) it only confuses matters.

My own BCP was a modest approval at $1k, and I'm not eligible for CLIs because I included a Green card in bankruptcy back in 2000 (yep, 17 years ago).  I was happy to be back at all (and still am) but I admit that the small credit line was annoying considering my usual spend is $400-$600 each month, so it was impacting my utilization (I know I could pay before the statement cuts, but I never bothered). 

Eventually after 19 months (+/-) they gave me an auto-CLI to $3k, and around a year later I got another auto-CLI making my total credit line $7.5k, which is more than sufficient for my needs.  They have warmed up to me nicely - my ED was approved last year at $8k - but as far as I know I still can't get user-initiated CLIs (after too many denials to count I finally stopped trying).

TL;DR... for those of us with weaker profiles (or in my case, "history") they can be slower to grow, but in time they do respond to usage.  They aren't exactly NFCU, but it will happen.  Hang in there!  Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 29
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

I agree that they should have been able to 'figure out' what you were talking about by the description, but unfortunately that's not always the case (especially if there's a language barrier).  It seems that anytime there's a reference to 'credit steps' (which is a Capital One term) it only confuses matters.

My own BCP was a modest approval at $1k, and I'm not eligible for CLIs because I included a Green card in bankruptcy back in 2000 (yep, 17 years ago).  I was happy to be back at all (and still am) but I admit that the small credit line was annoying considering my usual spend is $400-$600 each month, so it was impacting my utilization (I know I could pay before the statement cuts, but I never bothered). 

Eventually after 19 months (+/-) they gave me an auto-CLI to $3k, and around a year later I got another auto-CLI making my total credit line $7.5k, which is more than sufficient for my needs.  They have warmed up to me nicely - my ED was approved last year at $8k - but as far as I know I still can't get user-initiated CLIs (after too many denials to count I finally stopped trying).

TL;DR... for those of us with weaker profiles (or in my case, "history") they can be slower to grow, but in time they do respond to usage.  They aren't exactly NFCU, but it will happen.  Hang in there!  :smileywink

Did they tell you that was the reason? We included Amex in Bk wondering if that's why? 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 26 of 29
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

TL;DR... for those of us with weaker profiles (or in my case, "history") they can be slower to grow, but in time they do respond to usage.  They aren't exactly NFCU, but it will happen.  Hang in there!  :smileywink

Did they tell you that was the reason? We included Amex in Bk wondering if that's why?

Anytime I requested a CLI I always got the 7-10 day message, then a few minutes later an email to call (I never did). 

Without fail, the reason on the letter was always "...previous negative experience with an American Express account" (or something to that effect).  The only negative experience I've ever had with them was the old account that was IIBK.

I'm happy with my limits where they are now, so it no longer bothers me.  After dealing with the BCP $1k limit for a year I applied for the Delta Gold with the intent of moving the limit over (and encouraged by so many people saying it was an "easy" approval) and was rewarded with yet another $1k limit card for the effort Smiley Frustrated (which was useless since you can't move limits on a $1k card).  I ended up closing the Delta just before the first AF was due (I haven't flown in years so there was no need to keep the card).

After my BCP was auto-CLI'ed I applied for an Everyday card - solely for taking advantage of Amex Offers and using it to keep my MR points should I decide to cancel my PRG - and I was floored to be insta-approved for $8k.  I've also taken out an installment loan with them (one payment left) and I have an offer right now for a new installment loan for very generous terms for my income/profile.

I have no idea if the old Green that was IIBK will follow me forever, but as long as they approve new accounts with a 'usable' credit line or I have another card to reallocate from I'll be happy even if I never see the $20k+ limits many others here enjoy.  It just took a little patience to get things where I need them to be.  Smiley Wink

Message 27 of 29
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thanks. We have never been given that reason. His is usually collection account which he had at the timeof approval and mine is inquires and the mishap with missing number on bank account which still makes me angry.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 28 of 29
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Got denial letter. Too many inquires and too new of history with AMEX. So I guess yes in both parts .

And I also realized that that when I tried was only at 61 days note sure how I screwed up on that one lol. So technically my 91 days hits this coming week, not very confident but it's worth a shot I suppose lol.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.