cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 3x CLI Question for BCE

tag
DXness
Valued Member

Amex 3x CLI Question for BCE

I bet the forum regulars are sick of Amex CLI questions, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in past threads.  Today is 92 days since I was approved for my BCE, so I went for the 3x CLI and the thing said account too new.  What is the current req for your first (new cardholder) CLI on a BCE and when does the clock start?

Do you have to wait 101 days?  6 months like the BCP?  Does the clock start from the approval/inquiry, or when you activated the card, or when your first statement cut?


__

Rebuilding, FICO 8s as of February 2024:


Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex 3x CLI Question for BCE

Multiple data points have shown for a while that its become a YMMV senario as to when one is considered eligible to ask.   Nowadays some people have success at 91 days, others have to wait 6 months.   I'm not aware of a reliable means of knowing beforehand whether one is on the 91 day or 6 month track.

(2/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 17
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Re: Amex 3x CLI Question for BCE

I don't remember the exact time frame for me but I believe it was around the six month mark for my first CLI with Amex





Message 3 of 17
GatoradeZeroGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex 3x CLI Question for BCE

I wonder if opening a second or third amex card with them during that 91 days period impacts CLI eligiblity 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

1/6, 5/12, 12/24

Message 4 of 17
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex 3x CLI Question for BCE

Mine wasnt 91ish days, so, I started trying to request once a week, and couple of weeks later it allowed me to ask (and receive) my CLI.

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | Delta AmEx Plat - $25k | Citi AA Executive - $31k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - 60k
Message 5 of 17
Aeon
Valued Member

Re: Amex 3x CLI Question for BCE

~101 days from acct opening (first amex card) to 3x cli on my BCE. 

Wells Fargo Autograph (PC'd multiple times) - June 2014 | American Express Blue Cash Everyday - September 2022 | American Express Blue Business Cash - March 2023

Message 6 of 17
markbeiser
Established Contributor

Re: Amex 3x CLI Question for BCE

I got my first 3x CLI 91 days after I recieved the card and activated it, and my 2nd 3x CLI 92 days after that.

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.

Current FICO8:
Message 7 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Amex 3x CLI Question for BCE


@coldfusion wrote:

Multiple data points have shown for a while that its become a YMMV senario as to when one is considered eligible to ask.   Nowadays some people have success at 91 days, others have to wait 6 months.   I'm not aware of a reliable means of knowing beforehand whether one is on the 91 day or 6 month track.


Agreed. For me it was around ~100ish or so days, but as mentioned above, I've seen it be around 6 months for others. It seems to no longer be a consistent 91 days. 


Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:




Current FICO 8 scores:


Message 8 of 17
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex 3x CLI Question for BCE


@DXness wrote:

I bet the forum regulars are sick of Amex CLI questions, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in past threads.  Today is 92 days since I was approved for my BCE, so I went for the 3x CLI and the thing said account too new.  What is the current req for your first (new cardholder) CLI on a BCE and when does the clock start?

Do you have to wait 101 days?  6 months like the BCP?  Does the clock start from the approval/inquiry, or when you activated the card, or when your first statement cut?


Wait... its 6 months for the BCP?

Current FICO 8: TU: 814 EX: 774 EQ: 806
Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000
American Express BCP: $12,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred $11,500
Blue Business Plus $10,000
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
Capital One Venture X $16,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited $5,000

Tour Manager, FOH Engineer, Concert Promoter, HBIC
Message 9 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Amex 3x CLI Question for BCE


@drewricomakeubu wrote:

@DXness wrote:

I bet the forum regulars are sick of Amex CLI questions, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in past threads.  Today is 92 days since I was approved for my BCE, so I went for the 3x CLI and the thing said account too new.  What is the current req for your first (new cardholder) CLI on a BCE and when does the clock start?

Do you have to wait 101 days?  6 months like the BCP?  Does the clock start from the approval/inquiry, or when you activated the card, or when your first statement cut?


Wait... its 6 months for the BCP?


6 months between approved requests, yes, for ANY revolving card, not just the BCP.

The 91 days is only for your first CLI after approval. 


Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:




Current FICO 8 scores:


Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.