Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE Low Limit/No Credit Steps?

tag
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

Amex BCE Low Limit/No Credit Steps?

Hey all, I was recently approved for an AMEX BCE (first Amex card ever) with a starting limit of $500. I've seen numerous posts on this board about a SL this low indicating this card belonging to the Amex version of credit steps.

With that being said, I never received the typical Credit Steps email from Amex. Should I assume this is not a Credit Steps card and my SL was low because of my current profile and the fact I am new with Amex?

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex BCE Low Limit/No Credit Steps?

If you did not receive an email or correspondence which outlines the steps for qualifying for a higher CL over a period of time with usage and on-time payments, then the $500 SL is the minimum for approval.   Not all $500 SL approvals qualify for that option.

Message 2 of 5
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Don’t worry at all. Use it well and you’ll be able to get a generous CLI after a few months.
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 5
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

Would multiple PIF payments over the course of one statement spook Amex? I'd like to put some serious grocery spend on the card, but with a family of 7, the $500 limit isn't enough.

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DebtJoe wrote:
Would multiple PIF payments over the course of one statement spook Amex? I'd like to put some serious grocery spend on the card, but with a family of 7, the $500 limit isn't enough.

You can do this but, during the first statement if you have them pull from your account you can only make 1 payment.  If you push them from your bank bill pay you can send as many as you want but you have the delay of them mailing the payments.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.