Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blacklist Data Points

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Amex Blacklist Data Points

I wanted to make this thread a bit ago, but have been too busy(and lazy). I was blacklisted and tried to research when, or if, I would ever be able to get back in with them. The data was all over the place and people were claiming the larger the amount owed, the longer you had to wait to get off the list. But, there was no easy way to chart that data as you would have to go through multiple threads to compile it. I recently found out I am no longer blacklisted, and the recent rash of blacklist questions 2-3 weeks ago got me thinking that we should have a thread for people to refer to for data points. Basically, just fill out the data point section with your info. If you have any facts to add, or if I put any that need to be corrected, let me know.

THINGS TO KNOW

1. Amex has a very looooooong memory in regards to your history with them.

2. Having an account charged off or included in a bankruptcy will result in being "blacklisted".

3. You usually have to pay the amount owed to get off the list or wait an unspecified amount of time.

4. Amex does not sell your debt to a collection company.

5. The company that collects for Amex is Global Collections, may go by American Express Global Collections. They have full authorization to make decisions on Amex's behalf such as offering or accepting settlement offers.

6. Settling on a debt may not remove you from the list.

7. Amex has a card that is available If you pay off your balance called the Optima Oasis. You have to either be invited, or negotiate for it when you call in to pay your debt. You can not get it after repayment has started as it is a bargaining chip. There aren't enough data points to say whether this will help you get back in to the mainstream cards sooner rather than later.

8. If you're able to get back in with Amex, you can request your original "Member Since" date on your card, but they will not backdate your account using your previous history. So, even if you had 15 years of flawless history prior to defaulting, you will not get that history back.

HOW DO I KNOW IF I'M BLACKLISTED

There are two ways to know.

1. Applying to be an authorized user. If blacklisted, you will not be allowed on a card. People have reported being able to become an AU, but still being blacklisted. In those cases, it seems that they were in a gray area. Not enough data points to say if becoming an AU led to being taken off the blacklist. You can have a corporate Amex card despite being on the list.

2. Apply for a card. If you're immediately denied and do not receive a hard pull, you're on the list. You will receive a denial letter citing past history. If you receive a decline WITH a hard pull from Experian, you are no longer on the list, but don't meet their requirements for membership. You will be able to see your denial letter online if you opt in for it, otherwise, you'll receive a standard letter in the mail. If you're approved, CONGRATS! Don't screw it up this time.

DATA POINTS (please answer these questions)

CHARGE OFF OR BK: charge off

LENGTH OF TIME SINCE DEFAULT: 19 years

AMOUNT OWED: $11,000

PAID OFF DEBT: no

SETTLED DEBT AMOUNT: no

AUTHORIZED USER: no

APP APPROVED: YES

REASON FOR DENIAL: n/a

RECEIVED OPTIMA OASIS: no

TIME FROM OPTIMA CARD TO MAINSTREAM CARD: n/a

30 REPLIES 30
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Blacklist Data Points

Great postSmiley Happy

We need a data point stat thread for all the major lenders

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 31
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

to add, generally easy to be an au on a business card, even inside of 10 years on a bk7.  amex retains all debt, they do not sell it off, dealing with an agent is just like dealing with the mothership.  whenever you get back in you will get your old member since date but it will register a new account on reports.

Message 3 of 31
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Jnbmom wrote:

Great postSmiley Happy

We need a data point stat thread for all the major lenders

A sticky that links to them would be nice.

Message 4 of 31
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@bourgogne wrote:

to add, generally easy to be an au on a business card, even inside of 10 years on a bk7.  amex retains all debt, they do not sell it off, dealing with an agent is just like dealing with the mothership.  whenever you get back in you will get your old member since date but it will register a new account on reports.

Good points. You can definitely have a corporate card even though you're blacklisted, so being an AU on a business card wouldn't be out of the question. Are you sure about the member since date? My understanding is they no longer backdate, you'll get the new year, but occasionally people will get a replacement card showing original member date.

Message 5 of 31
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

Good points. You can definitely have a corporate card even though you're blacklisted, so being an AU on a business card wouldn't be out of the question. Are you sure about the member since date? My understanding is they no longer backdate, you'll get the new year, but occasionally people will get a replacement card showing original member date.

member since and backdate have different meanings.  backdate implies old history which they will no longer do but anyone can get their old member since date, just need to ask

Message 6 of 31
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@bourgogne wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

member since and backdate have different meanings.  backdate implies old history which they will no longer do but anyone can get their old member since date, just need to ask

got it. Will edit

Message 7 of 31
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

the other thing is that on the corp level they are decent, if one gets in touch with the exec office and pays off or settles an account they can work to get a card approved on the back end.  all they want is for accounts to be brought current even if they have to take a slight loss.  the csrs are nice but near worthless, ditto for the outsourced support but the exec team can work magic.  paying off debt can really turn things around with amex, more so than other lenders I have had contact with.  i have helped a number of friends out of a mess last year and I got excellent results with amex.  also credit one and sync, even pra.

Message 8 of 31
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@bourgogne wrote:

the other thing is that on the corp level they are decent, if one gets in touch with the exec office and pays off or settles an account they can work to get a card approved on the back end.  all they want is for accounts to be brought current even if they have to take a slight loss.  the csrs are nice but near worthless, ditto for the outsourced support but the exec team can work magic.  paying off debt can really turn things around with amex, more so than other lenders I have had contact with.  i have helped a number of friends out of a mess last year and I got excellent results with amex.  also credit one and sync, even pra.

I think this is a key word right here. You can't have a 10k debt and expect to get off the list by settling for 1-2k (not that they would accept that). It would have to be something they find satisfactory to them.

Message 9 of 31
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

I think this is a key word right here. You can't have a 10k debt and expect to get off the list by settling for 1-2k (not that they would accept that). It would have to be something they find satisfactory to them.

woman i know..amex's right arm got a writ from a judgement and did a garnishment on a ~$16K debt, they took $10K to settle and she now has several high limit cards from them, $30K+ is high to me.  same deal with chase.  she also earns $500K a year which might help lol

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.