Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blacklist Data Points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Blacklist Data Points

I do want to add that, even if you never had an account with Amex, they'll blacklist you if you have a BK active on your report. However, from what I've been told, the blacklist period is much shorter in that case than if you IIB'ed them. My information is that, if you didn't have an account with Amex at the time of your BK, you'll become eligible to apply to them, including the possibility of prequalified offers, 5 years plus 1 month after your bankruptcy was discharged.

Message 11 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I settled 3 Amex accounts worth $56,000 for around $15,000 about 8 years ago. I was shocked to get back in last year after applying and getting instant approval for the BCP card with a SL of $12,000 (now 35K). The card even says "member since 1995."
Message 12 of 31
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do want to add that, even if you never had an account with Amex, they'll blacklist you if you have a BK active on your report. However, from what I've been told, the blacklist period is much shorter in that case than if you IIB'ed them. My information is that, if you didn't have an account with Amex at the time of your BK, you'll become eligible to apply to them, including the possibility of prequalified offers, 5 years plus 1 month after your bankruptcy was discharged.

Thats not a blacklist. Your description is considered a denial based on their credit criteria.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 13 of 31
sjt
Senior Contributor

My SO's Data Points:

Charge Off or BK:

Charge Off

Length of Time before Default:

10 + Years

Amount Owed:

$30K accross several cards.

Paid Off or Settled Debt:

Paid Off via payment plan

Authorized User:

No

App Approved:

N/A

Reason for Denial:

N/A

Received Optima:

Yes; $3,200 CL (30% of the highest CL of one of the charged off cards)

Time from Optima to Mainstream Card:

Applied and approved (Platinum Charge) 1 year and 2 months from the opening of the Optima Card. FICO score was 638 at the time of approval. All debts (Amex and others) showed paid in full.

Additional Information:

Gets pre-approval offers, automatically approved for Extended Payment Option with $35K CL (never uses though)

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 14 of 31
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

DATA POINTS (please answer these questions)

CHARGE OFF OR BK: Both (CO in 2008, paid them back. BK 2013 not IIB)

LENGTH OF TIME SINCE DEFAULT: 10 yrs

AMOUNT OWED: $781

PAID OFF DEBT: yes

SETTLED DEBT AMOUNT: no

AUTHORIZED USER: yes, briefly for a few months in 2017

APP APPROVED: yes, finally 5 yrs and 1 mo post BK

REASON FOR DENIAL: previous denial reasons were always "Bankruptcy"

RECEIVED OPTIMA OASIS: NO, but was offered the card via mail a month after I pif the debt in 2008. I denied it. 

TIME FROM OPTIMA CARD TO MAINSTREAM CARD: Never had optima, but Im going with now which is my BK. 5 yrs and 1 mo 

Message 15 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

CHARGE OFF OR BK: charge off: Charge-off

LENGTH OF TIME SINCE DEFAULT: 10 years

AMOUNT OWED: $8,000

PAID OFF DEBT: No

SETTLED DEBT AMOUNT: No

AUTHORIZED USER: No

APP APPROVED: Yes

REASON FOR DENIAL: N/A

RECEIVED OPTIMA OASIS: No

TIME FROM OPTIMA CARD TO MAINSTREAM CARD: N/A

Message 16 of 31
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

odd ball dp, I gave a friend a bgr in 2/18 - joint bk7 6/2009.  burned amex for $50K.  always denied for her own cards both personal and businesss but they let her have this au.  she started to use the card a week ago, just set up an online account for her yesterday and it shows member since 2003.  they know its her but let the au in anyway, very cool.  my hope is that a little history will help her next year when she tried again on her own

Message 17 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

There also appears a blacklist for Serve/Bluebird.   My cards were closed for xxx about three years ago, and I, like many similarly situated, are unable to get new ones.   This was before Amex sold the prepaid business.    But the "blacklist" must have been sold as well, as we are still unable to get new ones!

Message 18 of 31
risingup2day
Regular Contributor

Here’s my details:

CHARGE OFF OR BK:
Charge off 2009; BK7 2014
LENGTH OF TIME SINCE DEFAULT:
9 years
AMOUNT OWED:
$4k-5K
PAID OFF DEBT:
No
SETTLED DEBT AMOUNT:
No
AUTHORIZED USER:
No
APP APPROVED:
Instant denial / No HP
REASON FOR DENIAL:
Previous relationship
RECEIVED OPTIMA OASIS:
No
TIME FROM OPTIMA CARD TO MAINSTREAM CARD: N/A
Message 19 of 31
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Updated my original post because of my recent approval.

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.