cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI question for all of you Amex experts out there...

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Amex CLI question for all of you Amex experts out there...

Can't remember exactly when DW got her Amex, but I believe it was in June. 

She asked for her 3X CLI in September, and was denied due to credit score.  (09/18/17)  So, knowing that she had to wait 181 days, I marked her to request again on 03/18/18.

Today, I got an email congratulating her on her 2X CLI that was NOT requested.  (Auto luv from AMEX!)

My question, that I'm afraid I know the answer to.... does that mean she needs to wait for July to request a 3X CLI now?

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex CLI question for all of you Amex experts out there...

Was her SL possibly a rebuilder "credit steps" SL like $500, $1000 or even $2000?

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the increase!

Message 3 of 12
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Was her SL possibly a rebuilder "credit steps" SL like $500, $1000 or even $2000?

Could be.  No idea.  I've never heard of Amex doing a "credit steps" program. 

(Yes, her 2k line is now a 4k line...)

Message 4 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

She asked for her 3X CLI in September, and was denied due to credit score.  (09/18/17)  So, knowing that she had to wait 181 days, I marked her to request again on 03/18/18.

Today, I got an email congratulating her on her 2X CLI that was NOT requested.  (Auto luv from AMEX!)

My question, that I'm afraid I know the answer to.... does that mean she needs to wait for July to request a 3X CLI now?

Tackling the bold first. Any denials are only a 91 day wait to request again. Only with a customer requested and approved CLI request does the clock reset for 181 days. And no any auto luv from AMEX does NOT reset the clock.

Message 5 of 12
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

Tackling the bold first. Any denials are only a 91 day wait to request again. Only with a customer requested and approved CLI request does the clock reset for 181 days. And no any auto luv from AMEX does NOT reset the clock.

YAY!!!!   That's what I'd hoped for!  TYVM!  Smiley Happy

...somehow, I thought if she was denied a CLI due to her credit score, she had to wait 181 days before asking again... am I mistaken?

Message 6 of 12
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Isnt today 91 days? I would request that 3x cli right about now.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since Amex and Costco broke up, Amex has loosened underwriting standards quite significantly to the point that folks with scores as low as 640 (profile dependent) are getting approved for Amex cards.

But instead of giving them typically high limits, Amex starts them off with limits in the $500-$1000 range and sometimes $2000.

They will usually email or mail a letter noting that the account will get an automatic CLI in 5-6 months if it's used responsibly, etc.

I just got back in with Amex at $2000 in November but my 61-day 3X CLI was approved January 2nd so obviously I got a lower SL but still was approved for an increase even though my FICO dropped (710->701->706 at CLI approval).  My next CLI is 181 days out (July 2).

If you are denied a CLI request, you can attempt another one at 91 days.

Message 8 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

YAY!!!!   That's what I'd hoped for!  TYVM!  Smiley Happy

...somehow, I thought if she was denied a CLI due to her credit score, she had to wait 181 days before asking again... am I mistaken?

You're mistaken which is why I wanted to tackle that first. She's free and clear to request the full 3X of her current limit to $12k. In a way it's good she got the auto CLI first she'll gain more assuming they approve her full request.

@601flyguy wrote:
Isnt today 91 days? I would request that 3x cli right about now.

91 days was back in Decemeber last month but yes his DW can do it anytime she likes now.

Message 9 of 12
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Oh dang lol i must be getting old
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.