cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI with BK 7

tag
Ali_baba

Amex CLI with BK 7

today is the 7 year mark on my dc on my bk. I tried to get a cli on my bcp and I got Declined because of BK. Do I have to wait the full ten years to get a cli? 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex CLI with BK 7

What's was your starting CL? Once I get past the automatic 5yr 1mo blacklist for BK7 not involving them, BCE or BCP would potentially be of interest to me.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 2 of 20
Ali_baba

@Zoostation1 wrote:

What's was your starting CL? Once I get past the automatic 5yr 1mo blacklist for BK7 not involving them, BCE or BCP would potentially be of interest to me.

I started with a $1000 sl

Message 3 of 20
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Ali_baba wrote:

@Zoostation1 wrote:

How long have you had the account?

I don't think the BK is the reason for denial. Generally, when you get approved for an Amex revolver with a $1k SL, it means you barely got in and it can be a bit hard to grow it at first.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 20
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@Ali_baba wrote:

today is the 7 year mark on my dc on my bk. I tried to get a cli on my bcp and I got Declined because of BK. Do I have to wait the full ten years to get a cli? 

Pretty much yes you do. AmEX rarely gives a CLI on new cards with a BK still reporting. Once it's off that changes. I know this from experience.

Message 5 of 20
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Ali_baba wrote:

@Zoostation1 wrote:

I don't think the BK is the reason for denial. Generally, when you get approved for an Amex revolver with a $1k SL, it means you barely got in and it can be a bit hard to grow it at first.

The BK is actually very mucgh the reason they were denied a CLI and also the reason for the SL of $1K and "barely" getting in. While AmEx will let you in with a BK after 5.1 years they still use that to keep you on tight reins until it's no longer reporting. I know this first hand.

Message 6 of 20
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@bigseegar wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Ali_baba wrote:

@Zoostation1 wrote:

The BK is actually very mucgh the reason they were denied a CLI and also the reason for the SL of $1K and "barely" getting in. While AmEx will let you in with a BK after 5.1 years they still use that to keep you on tight reins until it's no longer reporting. I know this first hand.

I stand corrected. Smiley Happy I just figured they wouldn't let you in at all with a revolver with a BK still showing. 

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 20
Ali_baba

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Ali_baba wrote:

@Zoostation1 wrote:

In July it will be two years 

Message 8 of 20
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Ali_baba wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Ali_baba wrote:

@Zoostation1 wrote:

In July it will be two years 

Yea the $1k approvals can be hard to grow, sometimes taking years. I'm in the same boat. I got approved for a BCP back in December, but only for $1k. Tried for a CLI at 61 and 91 days, no dice. Waiting until 181 days next month and then we'll see.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 20
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

I had a BK showing and tried for years to get past the $1000 CL. Every denial stated "due to bankruptcy/derogatory credit report".

I think that's Amex's way of saying "we are trusting you with a small limit until that mark is removed". Several years ago Amex wouldn't even approve you with a derogatory mark, let alone a BK. They used to want spotless reports. 

Once the BK fell off I had no problem getting increases. 

JR
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.