cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Customer Login PreQualify Feature SUCKS!

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Customer Login PreQualify Feature SUCKS!

@Remedios wrote:

@joshk4u wrote:

Expand ... that should of been my cue ?

what I don't understand is that when you hit " Preqaulify " it shows you 3 cards that they rotate -

Yup. That's a clue.

Jinkies

Message 11 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@joshk4u wrote:

what I don't understand is that when you hit " Preqaulify " it shows you 3 cards that they rotate -

Yup. That's a clue.

Jinkies

Deputy So'n'So, whenever you're done ruining my life, report for duty. 

Thanks! 

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're doing it allllllllll wrong!    When you click "APPLY" on the card.....any card if it doesn't say you are pre-approved......you're not approved!   If it says "Expanding your membership" then you're not pre-approved.   All of this will appear when you hit on the "APPLY" button.   What you are seeing is just advertisement.   Doesn't mean anything it's just showing you cards.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joshk4u wrote:

That's true - but it will show three cards to anyone, on a brand new computer that's never been to their site.

You need to see this when you hit apply for it to be a pre-qual

I've edited your image to remove personal info. Made it pretty, though 

Remedios 

20200228_195956.jpg

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@joshk4u wrote:

That's true - but it will show three cards to anyone, on a brand new computer that's never been to their site.

You need to see this when you hit apply for it to be a pre-qual

I've edited your image to remove personal info. Made it pretty, though 

Remedios 

No problem - I considered it and decided hiding my pretty common first name wasn't worth the effort. If I'd known you'd end up doing it, I'd have gone ahead.

Message 15 of 22
ACW3rdIM
Established Member

I've looked for the answer to this question elsewhere on these forums (fora?) but didn't see it anywhere, so I'll ask it here: do the credit card companies see all the pre-qualify inquiries we do on their sites? Does, say, Chase see that I went to the Amex site and had a soft pull done? Does Amex, for example, see if I'm checking every 3-4 weeks for pre-qual offers on their OWN site when they pull up my account? If they can see these pre-qual checks it seems like, despite not taking the score hit that a hard pull entails, if an issuer sees a bunch of checks/inquiries for pre-qualified offers on their own site or on others' sites, it could still raise suspicion and in that way be as damaging as having a series of HPs, or even be incoporated into an issuer's formula regarding acceptance/rejection. 

This seems like a question that would have been answered here long ago, so I'll keep looking and I'll erase this post if I find the answer.

Message 16 of 22
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

SP are only visible to you when pulling your credit report. However, companies certainly have their own internal tracking and scoring algorithms based on your behaviors with them which would probably include prequal data.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 17 of 22
ACW3rdIM
Established Member

@seattletravels wrote:

SP are only visible to you when pulling your credit report. However, companies certainly have their own internal tracking and scoring algorithms based on your behaviors with them which would probably include prequal data.

Interesting. So if multiple credit card apps with all the hard pulls in a short time (i.e., over 12 months) indicates greater credit-seeking risk, I wonder what an issuer like Amex (since that's the issuer at the core of this thread) thinks when they pull up someone's account and see that the person has been coming to the Amex site and clicking the "Check for Pre-Qualified Offers" link every week or so, or that they're clicking "Apply Now" on a few cards every so often to see if they get the 'pre-approved' message, or the dreaded 'Expanding your relationship with us'  groin kick of false hope. Might the multiple inquiries on the website so often possibly be seen as suspect credit-shopping behavior?

This is not me asking for a friend (ha), I was certainly guilty of this a few months ago before I started educating myself by reading these boards. I've been doing a relatively uneducated but still fairly productive rebuild for a couple of years and, on a whim back in the fall after seeing a YouTube video about the best travel cards, I checked the Amex website and saw that I was pre-approved for an Amex Platinum. Pulled the trigger, instantly approved, couldn't believe it. Like so many others who don't necessarily know what they're doing, I thought, "Wheeeee! Credit cards! I can get credit cards now!!" and wanted the big miles/points SUBs because of some increased travel I have coming up over the next 12-18 months. Having learned about the pre-qual things offered by most issuers, I started checking them all out about twice a week just to see what else was available. Yeah, I know. Anyway, I also got a Cap One Venture (also pre-qualified) within two days of my Amex Platinum approval and something inside me told me to quit. Then I found these boards...in time, thankfully.

I am absolutely impressed by both the knowledge and the overall pleasant and encouraging demeanor among the cognoscenti of this forum -- seriously, I've never seen its equal on any message board, ever -- but I think there are a lot of folks like me who think that frequent checks of credit card websites for pre-qualified offers (or, in Amex's case, doing the 'Apply Now' trick) is basically harmless, and I wonder if that really is the case, or if it could be something each website is counting against you if you do it too much.

Message 18 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Checking for preapprovals should be least of your worries.

Most lenders have them to encourage new applicants with added layer of "you got this!" 

SPs are only visible to you. Some like Discover hand onto them for about a week.

The only possible drawback is that lenders have to pay for those, too. 

I've done them quite excessively because prequals are a great way to gage damage from new accounts.

When I dont have any recent ones, prequalifed for everything, when I have a decent chunk, computer laughs. 

Still, it's just a toy set in place to make us feel better in advance. It's not a guarantee of anything. 

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get the same 3 rotating cards when logged onto my account, OP! Although this could be a marketing tactic, that doesn't necessarily mean you don't have a preapproval as this has been my experience. You will need to click on each card to see if you're preapproved for that card. Hope this helps!

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.