cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Denied Application for CC!! Noooooo :)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Denied Application for CC!! Noooooo :)

Hello.
Long time lurker. First time poster.
Experian Fico 8 reported at 708. Applied for Amex, was denied. From the denial letter: "
The length of time is too short since the first credit card account on your credit report was opened. (Experian)
Based on your credit report, you are or have been past due on loan(s). (Experian)
Delinquency reported on accounts. (Experian)"

Discover IT 224/8700 2 months old
Capitol One Platinum 1/400 3 months old
Open Sky 1/200 3 months old.
Self Help Federal Credit Union Credit Builder loan
Paid on time. 446/500 @$43 month for 12 months.

Guys, any advice? Can I call Amex and ask for some luv?
Discover approved me for a monster limit, with credit score much lower. Capitol One for $300. Amex for 0....

Happy New Years!

FICO 8 was 610 October 13. Hit 708 today, before the HP. Time to garden I guessSmiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Denied Application for CC!! Noooooo :)

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello.
Long time lurker. First time poster.
Experian Fico 8 reported at 708. Applied for Amex, was denied. From the denial letter: "
The length of time is too short since the first credit card account on your credit report was opened. (Experian)
Based on your credit report, you are or have been past due on loan(s). (Experian)
Delinquency reported on accounts. (Experian)"

Discover IT 224/8700 2 months old
Capitol One Platinum 1/400 3 months old
Open Sky 1/200 3 months old.
Self Help Federal Credit Union Credit Builder loan
@Paid on time. 446/500 @$43 month for 12 months.

Guys, any advice? Can I call Amex and ask for some luv?
Discover approved me for a monster limit, with credit score much lower. Capitol One for $300. Amex for 0....

Happy New Years!

FICO 8 was 610 October 13. Hit 708 today, before the HP. Time to garden I guessSmiley Happy

Curious to know what you consider a "monster limit" when your Capital One has a CL of $300.

The Amex Gold is a charge card which means that you have to pay in full every month. If you missed some payments recently, Amex might be a little concerned about your ability to pay them back. I'm not too sure but it could have samething to do with the limits available in your other cards - If your cards have limits under 1k (let's say), there's no reason for them to give you a charge card, I believe.

Anyways, there are plenty of people here that know way more than me so they will probably be more helpful, haha! Happy new year!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about the denial but what card did you apply for?  I didn't see anything about the Gold card.  OP did you try the prequal first or was it a cold app?  How many lates and how long were the lates on those past accounts?  Were they relatively recent?

Message 3 of 7
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

You need to age the cards you have, with an 8.7k Sl on your Discover card you should be ok for awhile.
Use what you have wisely and re-apply in 9 to 10 months, that will at least give you 1 year of CC activity and history.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 4 of 7
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I think it's safe to say that you might have asked for too much too quickly. What does your credit look like from prior? Have you had any missed payments/late payments on prior loans/accounts? Regardless, I would definitely garden for 6-12 months and let your accounts age a bit. Amex is generally known to give good limits for thin files but if they deny, it's usually something too recent.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 5 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yes, a 8700 limit from Discover is a Monster limit for someone with a limited profile. Lol, even for many with good profiles, its hsrd to get a sl like that from Discover so super Kudos on achieving that. Looks like you just need some time. Wait at least until you achieve a minimum 640 plus on Ex to try again.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What an awesome responsive forum!
I did have car repo last year, with 90 day late before the repo.
A Verizon charge off PIF.
You guys are totally right, I did ask for too much,too soon.

Application was for an Amex Everyday Blue Card. No pre approval offer. I cold applied thru Experians website.

Grateful for the on point feedback!!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.