Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold Card Declined, Approval Odds?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold Card Declined, Approval Odds?

Hi everyone.

It has been two months since my last card opened. I opened the Amex ED and CFU in the early August. I will be traveling in the next month so I was thinking to apply for a travel card with no foregin transaction fee. I always wanted to apply for the CSP but obviously I have a thin file of history of 8 months, Chase won't approve it. So I guess the Gold Card is a good option since it's a charge card, I heard Amex has lower barrier on it. (And before the PRG changed to the Gold Card, I always got pre-approved). 

Now they declined my application for the reason I have a thin file of credit history and too many pulls recently. (3 months ago I was applying for auto loans). I called the reconsider line, rep said I have 749 FICO score and ask if I would like to send the application for manual review. I said yes please and he asked me to wait for 3-5 business day for the result.

What do you think about my approval odds? I have no baddies in the past as I always pay out the full balance, and I keep utilization in 10%. I am 3/24 now with $3,800 CL in total.

P.S. I applied for CLI for the ED card a few days ago as well and got declined, I don't know if that matters.

2 REPLIES 2
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Gold Card Declined, Approval Odds?

Since every profile is different, especially during a 2nd review, it could go in either direction OP. Hopefully, a good outcome.

I'd suggest just waiting for the review to be completed and the status should update with the results soon enough.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Gold Card Declined, Approval Odds?

@FinStar wrote:
Since every profile is different, especially during a 2nd review, it could go in either direction OP. Hopefully, a good outcome.

I'd suggest just waiting for the review to be completed and the status should update with the results soon enough.

Thanks for your reply. I just tested to go to the application page for credit cards on the Amex website with my account logged in . It turned out that almost every card I got the message of "you're  pre-qualified", only those three charge cards, even the Green Card, showed the "expand your membership with us".

I don't think this is a good sign.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.