cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold Card worth a recon letter? Advise?

tag
LosAngeles
Established Member

Amex Gold Card worth a recon letter? Advise?

I currently have an Amex gold delta skymiles card and was preselected for a 50k SUB for the Amex gold Charge card. I applied via the email and was instantly denied.

Reasons:

Your consumer credit report indicates your payment history has been unsatisfactory

The balances on your credit card accounts are high in relation to their credit limits, as reflected in your credit report.

The total of balances on your credit card accounts is high in relation to your monthly payments on those accounts, based on a review of our records and your credit report.

The revolving balance(s) on your American Express accounts is too high.

I have 4 CC's and 3 are at 0 balances, my current Amex is about 40% utl (But I pay it off every 1-2 weeks because it only has a 1k limit).

I have a couple 90+ lates on student loans from over 2 years ago (the accounts are current)

And the FICO they cited in the denial letter was 711

I was in a tough spot for a couple years, but I've really brought things back up in the last couple of years and thought I was good for an amex charge card. I just paid off my current amex immediately after the denial. If I recon should I keep it at a 0 balance?

I know people have had varying success with recon letters and I was just wondering if that was something that might be worth the effort? Thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Gold Card worth a recon letter? Advise?

Amex is a tough recon. How long have you had the Delta?

Message 2 of 4
LosAngeles
Established Member

SInce 2017. I had like 90% utilization for most of 2019, so I know that's a factor. But I'm in a much better financial spot now and I've since paid off all my cards. And I've been PIF my amex (only card I use) every 1-2 weeks for the last several months.

My current score dropped to 690 since i paid off my auto loan early. I also just paid off 57% of a personal loan that was at like 90% utilization recently. Both of which werent shown in the report they pulled.

Message 3 of 4
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Don't bother with sending them a letter.  Since you now have the denial letter in hand call in and ask for a reconsideration.  

As Brian mentioned AMEX usually does not reverse a denial via reconsideration but you have nothing to lose by trying.  There are success stories. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.