Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold Denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold Denial

Good Afternoon. I app'd for the Gold Card today and was denied. The letter was based on my Fico score from 03/05/2021.

Any DP's on when they update Fico's for applications? I'm a current card member with the Delta Gold. My Fico went up 59 points since then. Even my current Fico score in the Amex app reflects the changes. That's why I applied. Kinda frustrating, but it is what it is.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Gold Denial

You can reapply after 30 days.  What were the specific reason(s) for denial?  Was FICO score the only reason cited or...?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct. Only reason listed was Fico Score.

Message 3 of 6
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear about your denial.  I've had that happen before too because my current credit score wasn't used. My score went up 30 points one month and I had applied for a limit increase and they were using the previous month's score. I got denied because my Fico score was too low.  That's when I learned that for soft pulls Amex uses a credit report that can be 1 to 2 months old depending on when you apply.  

You should be fine to reapply after 30 days.  If you ever want to know what score they will use for your soft pull it will be the same as Fico score they provide us for free.  If you go on the app and click the account tab and then click on the Fico score that's what score they will use for your new card applications and credit limit increases if you were to apply today. Just check that prior to applying. Best wishes to you next time you apply!

4B232861-10A4-4C53-9297-5CF0BF133C23.jpeg

Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Correct. Only reason listed was Fico Score.

Ok, what I would suggest are a couple things after 30 days:

- Check your EX FICO score on the AmEx site (or app) to ensure the updated one displays.  Wait a couple of weeks after the score reflects on the site since there can be a lag in the information being updated in some cases.  If you are in no hurry to re-apply, give it a couple of months.  You can decide.

- Check to see whether you are pre-approved for this particular card whenever you decide to apply. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all your help. Greatly appreciate the advice. I will wait a month or two to reapply. Was trying to get their SUB before it changes.

Yes, in the Amex mobile app, it  has my updated current Fico Experian 8 score (701), dated May 6, 2021.

When I got the email denial today, the score they used was Experian Fico 8 642, with the date of March 05, 2021.

Their internal system they used for my application today was from my score two months ago, not current and updated Experian Fico 8 that is shown on my Amex mobile app.

It's all good, at least it wasn't a HP. This is my last goal card before gardening for a house next summer.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.