Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold- Goal Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold- Goal Card

-Sorry if this double posts, I got auto logged out while typing the first time and it threw up an error when i initially tried to post-

Like the title stated, I've settled o the Amex Gold card as a personal goal. The points match up really well with my spending, and I see a lot of value in it even with the AF. I'm just trying to collect some data points on others credit reports who were approved or denied to compare to my own.

Right now I have a 668EQ, 683TU, and a 727EX. I'm expecting a small jump in my EQ and TU scores sometime soon, as my EX score jumped 50 points (and then fell 10) after I was approved for my Disco secured and my Ducks unlimited cards. With a little gardening my scores should be fine, I think. My credit mix should be pretty good, two installment loans and now 3 CCs. I only have 3 things I'm a bit concerned about.

1.) I have 8 inquiries showing on my report, and more will be popping up due to the two new cards. I'm not sure how heavily this factors in, but I feel like I'm on the high side.

2.) My AAoAs was only a little over two years before I got the new cards, and its definitely going to dip under 2 years once they start reporting. Will this be a big deterrent? Worst case scenario I just have to wait.

3.) The biggest roadblock in my way to the gold card, at least I think it is, would be my 90D late. Back in 2018 I ran into some hardship and a CareCredit card I had became seriously behind on payments. Synchrony closed the account, but its caught up now. Is this going to put my goal on hiatus till it drops off, or is there still hope with this one blemish on my report?

I appreciate any advice or info you can send my way!
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Gold- Goal Card

My guess: pretty good chance but not a shoo-in. The Gold Card is not particularly difficult to get. I doubt I could get Ducks Unlimited, but I did somehow fluke my way into a Gold Card (don't be deceived by my scores), so if you got Ducks Unlimited recently, that makes me think you'd probably get the Gold Card.

Amex primarily looks at EX, fwiw. Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 2 of 29
TheAuthorizedUser
New Contributor

There is a good chance you can get it but I would check the Amex pre-qual first if you want to test the waters..

Garden Life: 4.01.20
Leaving Garden: 1.15.22
Updated: 4.15.20

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KJinC: Is the Ducks unlimited card equally picky? I honestly applied for it out of curiosity since it seemed to be the best gas card out there and it's actually my second highest SL at 1300. Honestly, I was 90% positive I'd be denied as I had been denied a few months prior for an Amazon card.

@TheAuthorizedUser: I did the pre-qual last night and I think I was only offered the DSM card and another I can't remember. Is that a sign I should do some more gardening?
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:
I ended up giving in to curiosity and applied for it earlier on break. After about 30 seconds I was promptly denied, which put a bit of a damper on the day and has left me feeling uncharacteristically impatient for my credit to improve.

Their reasons for denial included all of the above reasons, though also had two extra surprises.

1.) No credit cards on my report - I recently closed my old capital one secured card and replaced it with the Disco secured. I guess my petland card doesn't report to experian, because I've had it for a year and it should still be showing as an open account even with my cap1 being closed and my two new ones likely not yet reporting.

2.) The ratio of my loan balances to loan ammount is too high - This should be due to my upstart loan, as my car loan is sitting at about 80% of the principal paid off. Upstart, on the other hand, has only about 15% of the principal paid off.

It's back to the garden now, though hopefully I don't have to stay there too long. This is the last card I'm trying to get, at least for the next 5 years or so, and I'm starting to feel a growing impatience. I can only imagine how that's gonna be if I have to wait for all my inquiries to fall off.

Additionally: I just checked their pre-qual page again, and after my denial I am no longer pre-qualified for any of their cards. I guess my report spooked them off pretty badly.
Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. You have a Ducks unlimited card but did not get approved for an AMEX Gold? I would never be approved for a Ducks Unlimited if my life depended on it if that makes you feel better.

Denials hurt but you can only keep going! The AMEX Gold will be there whenever AMEX is ready for you. I would let your new cards report for 3-6 months and see if a preapproval pops. Gold is definitely the best way in. You are on their radar now though. Let the mighty Duck card build some history is my word of advice.
Message 6 of 29
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Sorry about the denial OP. It’s so incredibly frustrating and hard to just wait around until you qualify for things. Especially when one lurks around these forums and reads of all the possibilities while stuck in the sidelines. But you’ll get there, I promise! It’ll be your turn soon enough. Maybe take a break from the forums awhile to curb the envy.

Message 7 of 29
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I was about to reply to an earlier post, when I saw you were denied. Sorry to hear that, but you'll get it eventually. And, I would think Ducks Unlimited would be quite a bit pickier than Amex Gold, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

You could call the recon line at Amex. Might be worth it in this case. Either way, good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did end up calling the recon line, and was told they could resubmit it, but since it would pull the same report I'd likely be denied again and possibly get another HP in the process.

To help me out my Fiancée added me as an authorized user to her DSM card last night; though after reading some posts on here it seems that AMEX doesn't give you any extra consideration for being an AU on one of their cards.
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

That may be correct but the AU status may help boost your profile and score to a point that Amex is comfortable.

If it helps, I cold-apped for the Gold in the first half of May and was denied (I had three cobranded Amex cards already and I did not have a preapproval in my account). Two weeks later I had preapprovals for every card in the Amex lineup EXCEPT the Gold, which didn’t even show up. I opted for BCP on 5/23. Four days later I looked again and there it was, still showing full preapprovals but this time including Gold. Apped and received.

Point is, keep checking - I’m not sure what spurred them to preapproved me all of a sudden, but less than 3 weeks after having no preapprovals and being denied the Gold, I had 100% preapprovals and two shiny new Amex core cards. Check prequals a couple times a week - it may pop up after all.
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.