cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold- Goal Card

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Gold- Goal Card


@Meanmchine wrote:

@MaizeandBlue wrote:

@Larizzle wrote:
I've checked the prequal page more than a few times since I was denied. It's still not pulling up a single card for me, though I shouldn't be expecting it to this soon. I've been crawling through a bunch of old threads on Amex and found a few interesting things. The former tidbit about them not giving preferential treatment to AUs and another that has left me quite concerned. Apparently Amex factors in how often you use their prequal page for their internal scoring, and frequent use is a negative factor. If that's true, I've done more damage in the past couple days than I care to know.


I'm thinking I'll need to check a maximum of once every 6 months, but who knows. Do I have to use their manual online prequal, or could I sign up somewhere to be notified when I do have an offer?

Can you point me to the source of the highlighted assertion?  I sincerely doubt that its even true; the most Amex might do is track your interest and market specific credit products to you.


A senior shift supervisor told me. She was a classmate of my niece

 

Why would you possibly doubt it??????   Its a markting tool and also a fraud/loss tool. 



Assuming you're not pulling my leg; my experience is that Amex's Customer Care Professionals - even those at fairly high levels - often are very misinformed.





Message 21 of 29
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Gold- Goal Card


@Larizzle wrote:

@MaizeandBlue wrote:

@Larizzle wrote:
I've checked the prequal page more than a few times since I was denied. It's still not pulling up a single card for me, though I shouldn't be expecting it to this soon. I've been crawling through a bunch of old threads on Amex and found a few interesting things. The former tidbit about them not giving preferential treatment to AUs and another that has left me quite concerned. Apparently Amex factors in how often you use their prequal page for their internal scoring, and frequent use is a negative factor. If that's true, I've done more damage in the past couple days than I care to know.


I'm thinking I'll need to check a maximum of once every 6 months, but who knows. Do I have to use their manual online prequal, or could I sign up somewhere to be notified when I do have an offer?

The reason you're not seeing any prequalifications is because your recent application was denied.  As I've explained several times in these forums, Amex operates a dynamic website which means they are constantly making determinations about which of their cards you qualify for.  Once you apply and are denied, you are blocked/restricted from applying for that card again for either 30 or 90 days.  30 days if you were denied for a non-credit related reason, or 90 days for a credit-related reason.

 

It would be helpful if you showed the exact language and reason codes in the adverse action letter (personal details removed of course).  You can find the adverse action letter by filling in the information at https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/welcome.do Its the same notice you'll eventually receive in the mail.


Here's a screenshot of the letter.  I'm on mobile, so I apologize if the formatting comes out wonky.

 

 

Screenshot_20190816-214408_Chrome.jpg



Looks like you're denied for credit-related reasons i.e. negatives on your Experian credit report.  I would suggest reapplying in 90 days although it wouldn't hurt to try after 30 days when this current application cycles out of their system.





Message 22 of 29
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Gold- Goal Card


@MaizeandBlue wrote:

@Meanmchine wrote:

@MaizeandBlue wrote:

@Larizzle wrote:
I've checked the prequal page more than a few times since I was denied. It's still not pulling up a single card for me, though I shouldn't be expecting it to this soon. I've been crawling through a bunch of old threads on Amex and found a few interesting things. The former tidbit about them not giving preferential treatment to AUs and another that has left me quite concerned. Apparently Amex factors in how often you use their prequal page for their internal scoring, and frequent use is a negative factor. If that's true, I've done more damage in the past couple days than I care to know.


I'm thinking I'll need to check a maximum of once every 6 months, but who knows. Do I have to use their manual online prequal, or could I sign up somewhere to be notified when I do have an offer?

Can you point me to the source of the highlighted assertion?  I sincerely doubt that its even true; the most Amex might do is track your interest and market specific credit products to you.


A senior shift supervisor told me. She was a classmate of my niece

 

Why would you possibly doubt it??????   Its a markting tool and also a fraud/loss tool. 



Assuming you're not pulling my leg; my experience is that Amex's Customer Care Professionals - even those at fairly high levels - often are very misinformed.


I know you are not insinuating that I am trolling you, so let me respond that this supervisor did not work in a Custormer Care division, rather she was in a Travel Rewards division. 




3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>09/2019 CCT EX 829 TU 848 EQ 837
Jack Webb: "That figures. Now let me see if I got the facts straight here. Cleaning woman Clara Clifford discovered your clean copper clappers kept in a closet were copped by Claude Cooper the kleptomaniac from Cleveland. Now, is that about it?"
Message 23 of 29
Moderator

Re: Amex Gold- Goal Card

I have edited any posts that were not FSR.  Let's keep this on topic and non-personal.  Any further personal attacks will not be tolerated.  In case a reminder is needed, please make sure to adhere to the Friendly, Supportive and Respectful forum etiquette with your replies and dealings with each other.

 

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

 

FS

Message 24 of 29
Valued Member

Re: Amex Gold- Goal Card


@MaizeandBlue wrote:

Looks like you're denied for credit-related reasons i.e. negatives on your Experian credit report.  I would suggest reapplying in 90 days although it wouldn't hurt to try after 30 days when this current application cycles out of their system.


 

Yeah, as much as I would like to check again in 30 days, im gonna play it safe and shoot for 90-180. More time between checks certainly can't hurt anything. Who knows, perhaps I'll catch an extremely lucky break with Synchrony by then and get a successful PFD/GW. I think with that gone they'd be more willing to overlook the other factors.

Message 25 of 29
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Gold- Goal Card

Very possible - since none of us knows the actual weight they give each factor and how they adjust when negatives drop, it stands to reason that any improvement could be the tipping factor. You don’t have to wait to check though. Keep an eye on the prequals. When you get them, post up and let us know along with where your profile stands in terms of score, derogs, age factors, etc. It may be that at that time you’d qualify with a $1k SL, but giving it a month for an inquiry to fall off or to pay down balances through a scoring tier, you’d qualify for a higher SL.


Rose Gold NPSL | BCP | Delta Gold | Hilton Surpass | Hilton Honors | IT Cash | IT Chrome | Quicksilver | Target | VS | Home Depot | Lowes | Firestone | Wayfair | Overstock | Kohl’s

5/24, 1/24, 76445/24, who cares #HappyWithAmex





Entering the garden 5/27/2019, staying until 2020
(Lol so much for that grand plan...)
Message 26 of 29
Valued Member

Amex Gold -Pre-approved?

So I posted on here early last week askingabout the odds of being approved for a gold card, and my subsequent denial when I went for it. A couple days ago I got not one, but two letters from them offering the 50k points SUB and giving me a code to apply at their /goldrsvp page instead of the usual page for apps. I'm wondering if this is a sign they've recon'd giving me the card and are trying to reel me back. Right now I'm thinking they were probably late mail deliveries that were sent out before I was denied. Any thoughts?

Message 27 of 29
Moderator

Re: Amex Gold -Pre-approved?

Those invites may be unlikely correlated to the recent denials that you recently experienced. Keep in mind that these are simply marketing solicitations which would include an invitation code for tracking purposes. They are not pre-approved offers, unfortunately.
Message 28 of 29
Valued Member

Re: Amex Gold -Pre-approved?

Thanks for letting me know! I was tempted to app again after I got these, but I figured there were dots I wasn't connecting about why I got them.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.