Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Hilton Aspire - Denial

tag
nycsimone
Regular Contributor

Amex Hilton Aspire - Denial

I just applied for the Hilton Aspire with Amex and was denied.

I've had the Amex Platinum card for 3 years and had the Amex Gold for another 3 years before that. Over the 6 years i've had payments returned 2 times but a different payment was made within a few days of that. I have a balance of a little over $1,000 on my Amex Platinum and it allows me to make a purchase of up to $15,000 as I checked on the website.

My credit scores range between 700 and 730. I've had multiple credit card accounts, 1 mortgage, several car loans/leases. My income is in the high double digits and my CC util on credit reports shows up around 20-30%. I applied for a Delta Amex 2 years ago and got a denial because of the returned payment but I figured by now it would be ok. I have 0 late payments whatsoever on my credit report and everything is in good standing.

I do have 3 recent credit inquiries as I have 4 credit cards and opened 2 new accounts and in the process of closing 2 other cards. I was planning on getting the Aspire card and actually closing my Amex Platinum but...

The denial screen said they'd send me something in the mail in 10-14 business days.

Although I don't know the reason I am surprised they wouldn't even approve me for a $5k credit line. My Capital One has a $12k line and $1k balance, I also have a Chase Marriott card with an $8k line and $200 balance. I got a new Discover card with a $5k line and transfered a balance on there since it's 0% interest for 15 months but that balance isn't showing just yet.

Any idea why I would be denied?

29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Hilton Aspire - Denial

It's probably just the multiple returned payments.

Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Returned payments are not minor. I am amazed they even let you keep what you have after two of them. 

Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/welcome.do

Go put your info in and get the real reasons they declined the app.

Message 4 of 30
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The stigma of the returned payments will unfortunately stick around for quite some time.

Message 5 of 30
nycsimone
Regular Contributor

I just pulled up my history and I’ve had the AMEX card for 6 years and 3 months. 1 returned payment was about 4 years ago and the other 2-3 years ago.

I have 6 open credit cards. The Amex at 6 years, a Capital One at 5 years, and 4 under 2 years.

If it is the 2 returned payments that’s causing the decline is there any chance I can call and speak to someone about it? Seems silly to deny me considering it’s been so long and both times it was taken care of in a few days.
Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

They’re not likely to budge on a denial for returned payments. Did you check the link given by @Anonymous to get your reason letter online? That’s the first step. 

Message 7 of 30
nycsimone
Regular Contributor

I checked the link and it said it couldn’t find my application. Weird because I even got an email about it. I was logged into my AMEX account when I applied. The website says it’s updated every 24 hours so I may have to wait.

Btw: Returned payment was 06/2016
Message 8 of 30
NRB525
Super Contributor

I would leave it be. Asking about the returned payments has potential for bad. Not much upside.

Enjoy the Platinum. That gets you Gold Hilton status, close to the Diamond status. Plus other perks you would not have if no Platinum.

The Platinum is easier for them to allow, since you can’t carry a balance with it. Two returned payments, their radar is up watching for other problems.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 30
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@nycsimone  If they are still extra salty over returned payment from 3 years ago while approving just about everyone capable of filling out an app, I'd look for a different lender. 

I can see  a lender holding a grudge for a year, maybe two, but this is petty at best. 

I get the part about returned payment being a serious issue, but they left the card alone. If they are really that afraid of you robbing them blind, they could have taken some of SL from the existing card and opened a new one. Their exposure would not have increased and everybody would have been happy. 

Give your money to someone else. 

I'm not sure I could even hold the grudge for three years. 

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.