Amex Hilton Aspire - Denial

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Hilton Aspire - Denial

@Remedios wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@nycsimone  If they are still extra salty over returned payment from 3 years ago while approving just about everyone capable of filling out an app, I'd look for a different lender. 

I can see  a lender holding a grudge for a year, maybe two, but this is petty at best. 

I get the part about returned payment being a serious issue, but they left the card alone. If they are really that afraid of you robbing them blind, they could have taken some of SL from the existing card and opened a new one. Their exposure would not have increased and everybody would have been happy. 

Give your money to someone else. 

I'm not sure I could even hold the grudge for three years. 

I feel like you're talking about me, mom.

😒

Please tell me you're mad at me and have no plans to talk to me any time soon

Plz...

Of course not, mom. I 💖 you. You can move in whenever you decide to retire. That way your social security checks last longer.

Message 21 of 30
nycsimone
Regular Contributor

@Credit-hoarder

I agree, 3 years for a returned payment that was taken care of within a few days seems like a long enough period. I just used the "spending power" tool on the Amex site to see if I would be approved for a $20,000 charge on my Amex Platinum and it said yes. So I have a balance of about $1,000 on my Amex and it approves me for a $20,000 charge on my Amex Platinum which also has the pay over time feature but they declined me for an Aspire card?

I have the Marriott card from Chase that I want to close since they diluted the benefits and want the Aspire card for the Hilton Diamond status. I was actually planning on closing my Amex Platinum card as well so I didn't have 2 huge annual fees. I checked my credit report and they didn't even do a hard pull.

The link online says it can't find my app so i'm going to wait until this afternoon then give the recon line a call and see what they can do. There isn't a single blip on my credit report...not even a 30 day late anywhere. My Experian and Equifax are coming up around 740. Seems silly for them to turn me down...

Any advice on what to say if I call the recon line?

Message 22 of 30
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@nycsimone wrote:
I just pulled up my history and I’ve had the AMEX card for 6 years and 3 months. 1 returned payment was about 4 years ago and the other 2-3 years ago.

I have 6 open credit cards. The Amex at 6 years, a Capital One at 5 years, and 4 under 2 years.

If it is the 2 returned payments that’s causing the decline is there any chance I can call and speak to someone about it? Seems silly to deny me considering it’s been so long and both times it was taken care of in a few days.

Not silly at all. Just one returned check is a death knell to your credit profile. But two! Oh no you didn't! Smiley Indifferent Returned checks are worse than being a few days late because at least a few days late is not reported to the CRAs until it's a 30-day late.

I think in time (when the latest one turns 7 years), AmX may forgive you.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 23 of 30
nycsimone
Regular Contributor

My returned payment wasn’t reported to CRAs. It was a payment made online...
Message 24 of 30
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@nycsimone wrote:
My returned payment wasn’t reported to CRAs. It was a payment made online...

Right. It wasnt reported because it wasnt 30 days late. I was just making a comparison how a returned check reported in one’s internal credit profile can be worse than a 30-day late reported to a CRA. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know the limit on this? Just tried to pull the reason I got denied 2 years ago and it found my application and I agreed to Amex displaying it, put in my birth date and it said the application couldn't be accessed. 

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you know the limit on this? Just tried to pull the reason I got denied 2 years ago and it found my application and I agreed to Amex displaying it, put in my birth date and it said the application couldn't be accessed. 

It's too old for the system to display.  

Message 27 of 30
nycsimone
Regular Contributor

Update: Called Amex and they once again informed me that my application was denied and listed all the reasons such as too high balance with Amex etc but they were using info from Experian from over a month ago when I had that $12,000 balance with Amex. So I was asked if I wanted to request a reconsideration with a hard pull and I said yes and was instantly approved and because of the "inconvenience" the card is being overnighted to me.

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old report with a 12K balance surely could do this.  Congrats on being persistent with them and in the end taking the HP for the approval.

Message 29 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on getting the denial reconsidered @nycsimone.

Locking this thread as you were eventually approved. Feel free to start a new approval thread in the Approvals forum if you wish to do so.
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.