Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Approval Odds

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum Approval Odds

If you want to start a relationship with Amex - go on a few dates (Green).  

If you like it, then you guys can become exclusive (Gold).  Try that out.  Date for a few years.  Move in together.  

When you're ready to pop the question go Platinum.  

The Platinum is not something you would utilize to its extent.  You're a student.  Ask yourself: how often are you in lounges every year? How often are you buying extended warranties on high priced electronics? How often are you caling a concierge to get a reservation at a $120 per head restaurant? How often are you staying in hotels just to get automatic Gold status? (Which is essentially meaningless for 1 or 2 stays).  I can go on all night. 

You just need to date right now.  Not settle down Smiley Happy

Amex Green 

Amex Everyday rewards 

Amex Blue Cash 

Those should be the cards in your sights.  Amex will reward you generously 20 years down the line with the relationship you start with them when you were a student.  

good luck.  

Message 11 of 19
elixerin
Established Contributor

i just turned 20, have the Platinum. Love its benefits and ease it seems to put on travel and statuses it provides at hotels, the MR point system is more rewarding when more effort is put into it vs UR but UR is definetly way easier and shouldn't be ignored (Check CSR over Plat), though it is harder to get approved for chase. Make sure this is the right move for you, personally i recommend all my buddies go the Chase route cause the 5/24 stint, if you're a bigger spender and can rack MR then slide the Amex charge card route 

As for Approval i'd say your ok, i apped in Jan at 690-700ish score and was approved with 1y2mo overall history 1% UTI. Soft Pull because i was approved for a revolver in November which was HP.

Message 12 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, I appreciate the responses. I was not aware of the income specifities. Would you guys recommend that I begin a relationship with them first with one of their more "beginner" cards and if so which ones. or would I not be able to get approved for those either. 

I suggest getting the card that best fits your spending and the type of rewards you want to earn.  Great advice given up-thread, particularly with the income aspect.  There's absolutely no need to settle for a lower-tier Amex card due to approval concerns, but certainly look at which card will best fit your spending and means. 

It's likely that you would be able to use the $200 airline credit on Platinum, but will the remaining credits and benefits be utilized as a student overseas?  You did mention "a couple of times," so this does sound like you will have several upcoming international trips.  But keep in mind that the monthly Uber credits, while they works for both Uber and Uber Eats here in the US, will not work for international use as rides are charged in local currency (and credits/refunds are given in local currency too, which is why I still have an unused credit in Euros on my account), while the credit is applied as US dollars and they do not exchange currencies on credits.  IF and only IF the card makes financial sense for you, there should be no barrier to approval.

Your scores are fine for approval with virtually any American Express product.  I suggest examining all of them and determining what best fits your spending and rewards goals.

Message 13 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you want to start a relationship with Amex - go on a few dates (Green).  

If you like it, then you guys can become exclusive (Gold).  Try that out.  Date for a few years.  Move in together.  

When you're ready to pop the question go Platinum.  

The Platinum is not something you would utilize to its extent.  You're a student.  Ask yourself: how often are you in lounges every year? How often are you buying extended warranties on high priced electronics? How often are you caling a concierge to get a reservation at a $120 per head restaurant? How often are you staying in hotels just to get automatic Gold status? (Which is essentially meaningless for 1 or 2 stays).  I can go on all night. 

You just need to date right now.  Not settle down Smiley Happy

Amex Green 

Amex Everyday rewards 

Amex Blue Cash 

Those should be the cards in your sights.  Amex will reward you generously 20 years down the line with the relationship you start with them when you were a student.  

good luck.  

Age and student status are not the sole factors in determining whether a card is a good fit for an individual.  OP stated that they are going to be studying abroad, which will involve travel (and often lends itself to further travel to additional destinations).  A card that best fits someone's spending, rewards strategy, and/or lifestyle, will fit that person regardless of age or other demographics.

By the criteria you've laid out, I am a poor candidate for the card.  Since I have SkyClub access from my Delta Reserve and partner lounge access on Virgin Atlantic and SkyTeam airlines from my frequent flier status, it's quite rare that I have used lounge access that I would only be granted with my personal and business Platinum cards.  I don't use my Platinum card for expensive electronics purchases; camera lenses usually go on whichever card gives me the best rewards.  In my 18 years of having Amex charge cards, I have not even made a reservation at a McDonalds with the concierge.  I haven't used the Gold hotel status perk since 2016 because I have higher status earned organically (and previously through spend on another card).

Message 14 of 19
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If I include school grants, scholarships, money from work, and from parents I could probably have 30-40k. 

Hi and welcome 

Because of your age, you cannot include money you get from your parents. 

Amex is very particular about income and it's sources, so if you ultimately decide to apply, only the truth whole truth and nothing but the truth. 

I feel  it's way too soon and cards like Platium are not intended as practice cards. While you may think now you can afford the AF, the amount they allow you to charge wont be much for a while. 

Spending is limited at first even for those with long established histories if they are new customer to them.

It can make meeting sub requirements agony, because it's a long way to $5000, if you gotta do it in baby steps. 

Start smaller and simpler, than gradually move towards cards that require "dedication" 

+1

FYI, most 18yo students do not have $30k-$40k incomes.  Claiming this much might set off alarms

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 15 of 19
elixerin
Established Contributor

Doubt it.. my first AMEX app was at 19 yo with 108k reported income on both the revolver in Nov. and Plat in Jan.

Other than them playing around with the NPSL limits (no idea where it is now.. was 3900 a month or so ago, but i have a $6511 balance right now so who knows), was granted 3x CLI right before picking up the Plat too.

Not quite feeling an alarm but rather a warm hug c:

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have received scholarships to study abroad and will be going to South Africa and London on seperate trips so it makes sense for me financially. I understand that the fee is expensive but it gives me experiences that I otherwise wouldn't pay for while also building points for the future which is my main reason for wanting to get it anyways 

Message 17 of 19
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have received scholarships to study abroad and will be going to South Africa and London on seperate trips so it makes sense for me financially. I understand that the fee is expensive but it gives me experiences that I otherwise wouldn't pay for while also building points for the future which is my main reason for wanting to get it anyways 

Then I say go for it! Let us know how it turns out! Congrats on your study abroad!

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Youre college educated so you need to educate yourself on credit cards.   Reason why I say this is because AMEX is not a card that is used overseas alot.  Why?   Because it is not accepted everywhere like Visa & Mastercard is.   Alot of places overseas won't accept any Amex cards.  That's why its good to research stuff like this because if you got a Plat Amex went overseas then was turned down by places who would you blame.....probably Amex.  But you cant blame them.   

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.