Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Pre Approved with no sign up bonus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platinum Pre Approved with no sign up bonus

Today I logged on my Amex account (I have the BCE card) and I decided to check to see if I was pre approved for another card. It said I was pre approved for the Amex Platinum so I decided to go ahead and apply . I filled out the info and I hit submit and then a message popped up saying
“””””. Based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American Express welcome offers, Introductory APR offers, or the number of cards you have opened and closed, you are not welcome to receive the welcome offer. “” then it went on to say “”””” we have not yet performed a credit check, would you like to proceed “”””””””””

I clicked NO and exited out of the application. Just wondering why I would be seeing this , I only have 1 Amex that been open 14 months now, my other cards a Citi DC , a Discover It, a Cap1 QS , I have closed a Citi Best Buy card , a Lowe’s store card and an Amazon store card within the last 3 years . Would y’all still think it would be worth getting the Amex Platinum with out the sign up bonus ??
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Pre Approved with no sign up bonus

If you have time, I would wait on that app. You would definitely want a SUB since you are paying $550 for a card per year. Check incognito to see if a SUB comes up. You want one to be at least 60-100,000 MR.
Message 2 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Hold off till some 60k+ points come and allow you to get sub...  That pre-approval/qual isnt going anywhere as long as your profile remains the same or better and eventually hopefully amex will scale back their RAT team as alot of false positive hits their program is giving to people that dont churn.. Esp on such a high AF card as this i would skip till you get a bonus out if it at least

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CC, a somewhat-related question: you mentioned that the prequal isn’t going away. This is something I’ve wondered. I’ve seen from time to time on my AmEx Account, when I click Apply Now on various cards to see what’s preapproved and what isn’t, that a card will be preapproved, and then a week or two later it’s no longer saying that and giving the “expanding your membership is easy” message, and then later on it’s preapproved again. Is there significance in this? If I were to apply for the card without the preapproved message, when it’s been preapproved in the past, am I at a lower chance of getting the card than when I see “Devil you’re preapproved!”?
Message 4 of 8
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I would wait and see if you regain eligibility for SUBs. You may or may not. If you wait around for a long time and aren’t getting anywhere, and you can really utilize the card, then just go for it. TBH no one should ever app for a card just for the SUB.   I know we all have though lol 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update ***** So I called American Express and asked them about that, the guy looked at my account and couldn’t figure out why it was popping up,, had them run the app again over the phone and that message still popped up on their end,,, I been finding out from other people that have had this same issue, they increased the spending on the card for the next month and then tried again and it worked ,,, some people are saying they simply just re applied the following week , without doing anything thing else and it would work also,,, I’m gonna try again next week, I’ll keep everyone updated on what happens
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update...... ok so I decided to go ahead and apply for the platinum even tho I’m not getting the sign on bonus,,, I travel a lot and I think it will still be very beneficial for me.

On another note,, I did find out something that’s interesting,,, Amex didn’t do a hard pull on my credit . I have read some things on here before about that. I can confirm that it’s true. I was logged into my Amex account at he time and applied for a card I was pre approved for.

Message 7 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the approval @Anonymous.

Locking this thread as you have been approved. Feel free to start a new approval thread with any DPs in the Approvals forum if you would like to do so.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.