Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum, now or later?

tag
TexasKaren
Established Member

Amex Platinum, now or later?

I'd like to get an American Express Platinum charge card.  I checked the Cardmatch Tool and it did NOT show up as one of my preapproved choices. I went to the Amex site, but didn't see anywhere to find out what I'm preapproved for, just a list of cards with buttons to click to apply.

Current credit score 765. Debt Free. Three new cards in two years (3/24). My score will go up in nine days once a balance that I paid off last month hits my credit report, I'm just not sure by how much.  The credit report shows 11% utilization, when reality is more like 1%, and again, that should update on the credit report by the 26th.

The current offer for the Amex Platinum is 60,000 points. I know people have recently received offers to get 100,000 points. Any idea what credit score might be necessary for this to show up as an offer for me?  I'm trying to decide if I should just apply now and take the 60,000 points, or if being patient (I'm NOT a patient person) might reward me with another 40,000 points.  Since it's not showing up as a preapproval on Cardmatch, I don't even know if they'll let me have one.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum, now or later?

@TexasKaren wrote:

I'd like to get an American Express Platinum charge card.  I checked the Cardmatch Tool and it did NOT show up as one of my preapproved choices. I went to the Amex site, but didn't see anywhere to find out what I'm preapproved for, just a list of cards with buttons to click to apply.

Current credit score 765. Debt Free. Three new cards in two years (3/24). My score will go up in nine days once a balance that I paid off last month hits my credit report, I'm just not sure by how much.  The credit report shows 11% utilization, when reality is more like 1%, and again, that should update on the credit report by the 26th.

The current offer for the Amex Platinum is 60,000 points. I know people have recently received offers to get 100,000 points. Any idea what credit score might be necessary for this to show up as an offer for me?  I'm trying to decide if I should just apply now and take the 60,000 points, or if being patient (I'm NOT a patient person) might reward me with another 40,000 points.  Since it's not showing up as a preapproval on Cardmatch, I don't even know if they'll let me have one.

Amex has a tool to show if you're pre-qualified for their cards: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/check-for-offers/

There's a huge difference between pre-approval and pre-qualification but you seem to be mixing up these terms.  CardMatch is a third-party marketing tool  (owned by creditcards.com) and offers don't always show up there; your best bet is to inquire directly with American Express.

The 100,000 Membership Rewards points offer is a directly targeted offer from Amex's marketing department to certain individuals and occasionally shows up on CardMatch.com.  The offer is not contingent on your credit scores.  You can routinely get a 75,000 MR offer by viewing Amex's website in Incognito Mode and clicking on the Platinum card link:  https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/platinum/

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 5.51.11 PM.png

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

For starters 100K isn't based on score it's based on the offer when you hit the page.  Usually it's targeted or you can trigger it in incognito mode.

Do you have an Amex currently?

Is the 765 your EXperian score ?  Amex uses Experian 99% of the time for approvals.  If it's not then head over to their website and get your Fico from them.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/platinum/ (just open this in incognito a few times until you get the 100K)

-- I just did it 5 times in a row for 75K.... if you don't get it stop and try again later on, rinse and repeat as needed.

Message 3 of 9
TexasKaren
Established Member

Thank you. Yes, 765 is my Experian score as shown on the Amex page. I currently have a gold Delta Amex, that I've had for donkey's years Smiley Tongue

I'll try the incognito method.  I'd be happy w 75,000 points. I'm traveling internationally next month and really want lounge access as I'll have lots of airport time. 

I'll have to unfreeze Experian before applying I suppose. Transunion is so much easier because I have credit monitoring through them. The other two are always a bit of a pain to unfreeze. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TexasKaren wrote:

Thank you. Yes, 765 is my Experian score as shown on the Amex page. I currently have a gold Delta Amex, that I've had for donkey's years Smiley Tongue

I'll try the incognito method.  I'd be happy w 75,000 points. I'm traveling internationally next month and really want lounge access as I'll have lots of airport time. 

I'll have to unfreeze Experian before applying I suppose. Transunion is so much easier because I have credit monitoring through them. The other two are always a bit of a pain to unfreeze. 

Helpful info... it's a 50/50 need to unfreeze since you already have an account and it's  a SP approval anyway... I'd just go incognito and apply for the 75K it's a 15K bump off the public offer and it's not usually worth chasing your tail on the 100K.

Message 5 of 9
TexasKaren
Established Member

Guess I can try applying, although I went to the pre-qual page in incognito mode and got nothing. I tried a couple times because Experian still shows me at an address I moved out of four years ago, and shows my current address as a previous one. This according to the credit reports I can see throught my TU account.  Anyway, tried it w both addresses, after unfreezing Experian and TU, and got nothin'.  So I'll see if I can get the 75,000 offer and give it a shot. Nothing to lose really. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The whole point of incognito is to not login to get the higher offer.  Pre-qual doesn't work if you match your info to an existing account.  Just open the link in incognito mode and hit apply.  Now, if you want the short form then open another tab AFTER you hit APPLY and login then go back to the APP page and hit refresh and you'll get the 4-box version of the app.  Works either way for a SP approval.

Message 7 of 9
TexasKaren
Established Member

OMG. Thanks guys! 

Now I just have to spend $5K in the next three months. Shouldn't be difficult with a trip to Europe next month, and new furniture to buy soon as well. 

I'm actually a bit surprised how quick and easy that was. The last couple applications (for Discover, and a Chase card), I had to wait, and/or call the reconsideration line before getting approved. 

image.png

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the fantastic approval and SUB offer @TexasKaren! Well done!

Locking this thread as you have been approved. Feel free to start a new approval thread in the Approvals forum if you would like to do so.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.