cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Welcome Offer Special Offer - Prequal or denial?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Welcome Offer Special Offer - Prequal or denial?

Hi, advice needed. I am 2 mths in with my Amex Delta. Whenever I’m in the app and check prequals, it either says “expanding membership is easy” or that it found no offers. But today after I closed the “sorry no offers” pop up, I saw 3 “welcome offers” for cash magnet, gold and platinum. They are all labeled “Special Offer for You”. Is this a prequal or will I risk being denied if I app for it? Also, as a current Amex person, would it be SP? I searched the site and didn’t see any posts that answered this. Thank you! My F8 scores are ~705 currently (paying down high util of 36% to 29% to boost score a bit more this week )
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Welcome Offer Special Offer - Prequal or denial?

They are not prequalifications (and, prequalifications are not preapprovals, and preapprovals are not approvals), so you do risk being rejected for them. However, going by your scores (only info you provided), you should have a good chance for those cards. No guarantee (I have been turned down by Amex multiple times with Experian well over 700, it depends on overall profile). Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 2 of 4
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi, advice needed. I am 2 mths in with my Amex Delta. Whenever I’m in the app and check prequals, it either says “expanding membership is easy” or that it found no offers. But today after I closed the “sorry no offers” pop up, I saw 3 “welcome offers” for cash magnet, gold and platinum. They are all labeled “Special Offer for You”. Is this a prequal or will I risk being denied if I app for it? Also, as a current Amex person, would it be SP? I searched the site and didn’t see any posts that answered this. Thank you! My F8 scores are ~705 currently (paying down high util of 36% to 29% to boost score a bit more this week )

I'm going to assume this is your first or only AMEX card at the moment. As such, you are a relatively new cardmember and should wait until AMEX is soft pulling your EX score consistently and showing it in your online account which is roughly 60 - 90 days from first application. If you hold off until then, you will begin to see pre-approvals and most likely be soft pulled for subsequent approvals.

Patience, young Padawan.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ this. Go to View All Cards and click on Apply Now for any you’re interested in. If it says “you are preapproved” you’re in good shape. If it says “expanding your membership...” hold off.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.