Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex app denied. Look for advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex app denied. Look for advice?

So I prequalified for the amex platinum 100k offer but decided to go for the gold because I'd get more use out of it. I would have waited closer to June/July to apply, but right now Amex is giving an extra 3 months to meet the minimum spend. This would be my first amex card, but I was denied, so I immediately called the number that showed on the screen thinking it was the reconsideration line. The person said that everything looked good, but I had opened too many new accounts and that amex is strict about how many new accounts you can have. Other than that I would have been approved. She said to wait until next month and one of my new opened accounts should drop off. I checked the date my most recent accounts were open because this didn’t sound right.

I got the Chase Sapphire Preferred at end of January, was added as an authorized user to a Amazon Prime card around the same time and got the Chase Freedom Unlimited in March. I thought their rule was 2/90, which both the preferred and prime are outside of?

I called the same number again looking for further clarification on the time frame of new accounts and to possibly explain my situation. That time the guy said relatively the same thing; too many new accounts, but added I've recently closed too many accounts so my app was not eligible to pushed through for reconsideration. When I asked him what the time frame for opening new accounts is he didn't give me an answer and said I would get more details in my letter. Also I have only closed one account recently and it wasn’t a credit card account.

Should I just wait the month? What is amex's period for approving new accounts? I called the application status line, should I try the reconsideration line to plead my case even though they know I’ve already called twice before?

P.S. thanks for getting this far, sorry for the novel

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex app denied. Look for advice?

i would wait until Oct 

you opened one in Jan and one in March - Oct would make the March one 6 months old

also - how old is the one you were added to as an AU? if it is under 2 years it could also be a factor

Amex gave you the answer (twice) - they dont want to approve you until you dont have 2 brand new accounts

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree about letting it rest, you're sounding a bit too eager/credit seeking already. Contacting them any further could have less than desired results. 

General rule of thumb with Amex is to app them first because they don't report for up to 2 months, which leaves you open to an app with another Bank. Going for the 2 chase cards(and likely the AU) so close together before apping with another lender shortly after can be met with mixed results, your seem to hit that snag.  

Most of the time app sprees are done within a week of each other, though generally on the same day. And usually with three seperate Lenders. I am unaware of any card rule with Amex, such as Barclays and Chase 5/24 etc. Though typically they don't like to see too many apps in a 6 month period , so I would wait it out the 6 months to increase approval odds.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thank you both for the advice!

Message 4 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

amex new account sensitive?  This is a recent change to me if true....  What are your Exp scores?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

amex new account sensitive?  This is a recent change to me if true....  What are your Exp scores?

I'm getting recent denial reasons for CLI and charge cards like:

Too many inquiries in past 30 days

Too many inquiries

Time as Amex customer too short

Ex8 722, 23/6 inq, around 10/6 accounts

Message 6 of 9
elixerin
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Too many inquiries

my mans breathing credit🤩😂

Message 7 of 9
elixerin
Established Contributor

Hmm, interesting. I was approved for Vanilla Plat in January, n Chase Freedom in March also,

gonna be going for Schwab plat app soon... reports are cleaned just waiting for schwab.

Oddly similar i figured i'd update here as the profile/apps sound kinda similar as of recent..

I'd be pretty annoyed getting that msg on AZEO🤦‍♂️ hopefully aoYA of 2 months is enough LMAO

Message 8 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Too many inquiries

I would wait 6 months and try again. It seems Amex wants to see a little more history, before they are comfortable. JMHO

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.