Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex app in account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex app in account

Not too long ago we were discussing the different screens on the Amex app when looking at new cards. I don't recall a consensus being reached on one of them.

We all know the "Expanding your membership..." verbiage is a non-preapproval and a come-what-may, and that "You are preapproved" is self-explanatory. What about this though? Does anyone know the significance of this? It came up like this while I was signed into my account but had nothing filled in - it looked more like a cold application for a non-cardmember - no preapproval or non-preapproval verbiage.

Does anyone know, or has anyone apped from this screen and been approved, with either HP or SP?

19FE6630-8D07-4AE7-882B-FCFAF7610408.png

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex app in account

I have a question, how often does "Expanding your membership" a actually results in HP being performed?
Is that a certain HP or YMMV?

I'm not talking about probability of being approved for additional card, merely about HPs in the absence of "You're pre-approved"
Message 2 of 15
Mahraja
Valued Contributor

@Remedios ... its still a soft pull for existing customers 99% and if it goes pending than the application could get HP at the manual review ..but again its not hard rule specially if you are existing customer with payoff history .. if the Amex is not willing to extend you beyond 5 revolvers you will get different option from them OTP

Profile Worth 2.0+M+
___________R.a.j
"Be Stronger Than Your Strongest Excuse"
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:
I have a question, how often does "Expanding your membership" a actually results in HP being performed?
Is that a certain HP or YMMV?

I'm not talking about probability of being approved for additional card, merely about HPs in the absence of "You're pre-approved"

It's YMMV. 

I apped for BCP with no prequal or preapproval and not even logged in to my account back in early September and got a denial with no HP then they approved me with no HP using incognito to get a higher SUB in October. 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly I have no idea. Conventional wisdom has been that seeing "you're preapproved" is almost certainly a SP, whereas "expanding" is somewhat less certain. How much less though, I have no idea.

I'm more curious whether this signifies any level of preapproval or not - I'd assume no, but wonder if anyone has taken the leap and found out.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I appd via incognito for BCP that was showing a “you’re preapproved”, I got an alert of a HP. But since my EX is locked, they couldn’t HP and they ended up SP. I did have to call them to answer a verification question since I have a fraud alert on my acct too but I was approved. I was surprised at the HP attempt cause I thought “you’re preapproved” meant SP. so I guess they do still HP some ppl.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apped for one of their cards that had the 30 seconds verbage, no HP. 

TBH, I don't really understand the difference between the two if the results are the same. 

"Pre-approved" = the card they want you to apply for?

vs.

"Get a decision in as little as 30 seconds" = still pre-approved via SP? 

I've seen both while logged in, just never really paid attention to which cards it was on or why the difference.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my experience, if a denial it's typically soft pull for "expanding your membership" language for an existing customer.

Never been approved when that language was there, only with prequalify language. That was a sp as well.
Message 8 of 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

We went 7 pages in my thread and the consensus was it was a glitch because they were updating the website. I no longer get that screen, only the "expanding your membership...."

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Three of my four Amexes were approved on "it's easy to expand." Only the Delta was on a "you're prequalified." I did a change of address a couple of weeks ago, and on a whim, after changing my address with Amex, I did an icognito prequal and was shockingly pre-qualified for the Delta Gold, which was one of my goal "keep forever" cards for the boarding and baggage benefits.

After that was approved, I figured why not shoot for the moon and applied for and got the EveryDay Cash with a $225 SUB on incognito despite the "expanding your membership" blurb. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.