cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex declined CLI due to returned payment. Bank info was entered incorrectly...

tag
GMCTexas
New Contributor

Amex declined CLI due to returned payment. Bank info was entered incorrectly...

I had requested a CLI on one of my AMEX cards the other day and was declined due to: A recent payment you made to American Express was returned unpaid by your financial
institution.

The card had not been used in a while so I'd made a purchase of about $50. I was paying it with a new bank account and must have inadvertently entered either the wrong routing or checking number. I got notified about 2 days later the payment was declined. So I reentered the info again from the same account and it went through. The payment was not late because the first attempt was made a week ahead of the due date.

Will this "returned payment" haunt this account forever? I came across a few threads here and some people commented that a returned payment is worse than going over the limit. It was a simple mistake in entering the account number is all.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex declined CLI due to returned payment. Bank info was entered incorrectly...

Nearly  all issuers are very negative about returned payments, presumably because the vast majority occur when the user really doesn't have funds to pay the bill and is nearing default.   With enough work, Amex could find out that this falls into the fat fingers category of mistakes, but it's earier for issuers to take a "this is bad" approach.

As I've posted before, I did this one time, using info stored in a very old account.   I think by that stage the routing number wasn't valid and I just got a letter saying please correct or your online payment priviledge would be suspended (note they didn't threaten to remove charging ability).  That said, this was a gold card so I never tried to ask for a CLI but my wife got Amex cards later with no issue.

Message 2 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex declined CLI due to returned payment. Bank info was entered incorrectly...

As to impact, based on comments other members have posted here in the past you'll probably have to sit in the corner for 12 months before being eligible again for a CLI but they don't normally pile on by for example imposing limit decreases or other restrictions for a first offense.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

This happened to me , I transposed a number wrong and they would not increase my limit , this lasted about 12 months and ended up closing the account as this was the reason that was always given when I requested a CLI. 

I ended up applying for another card after I closed it a few months later . I have gotten and increase on my new card .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@GMCTexas wrote:

I had requested a CLI on one of my AMEX cards the other day and was declined due to: A recent payment you made to American Express was returned unpaid by your financial
institution.

The card had not been used in a while so I'd made a purchase of about $50. I was paying it with a new bank account and must have inadvertently entered either the wrong routing or checking number. I got notified about 2 days later the payment was declined. So I reentered the info again from the same account and it went through. The payment was not late because the first attempt was made a week ahead of the due date.

Will this "returned payment" haunt this account forever? I came across a few threads here and some people commented that a returned payment is worse than going over the limit. It was a simple mistake in entering the account number is all.

I think those types of remarks in your folder can hurt. I would call up, explain what happened, and ask them to remove it or something. Probably won't get you anywhere, but I would try.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 9
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Amex and other lenders look at returned payments as worse than late payments as long as they're less than 30 days late. 

This will likely affect you for atleast the next year.

Message 6 of 9
7774x
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@GMCTexas wrote:

institution.

I think those types of remarks in your folder can hurt. I would call up, explain what happened, and ask them to remove it or something. Probably won't get you anywhere, but I would try.

Agree  with poster ...you will spend some time in penalty box...give amex a call ..ask what is needed to remove account hit,,

Message 7 of 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@GMCTexas wrote:

institution.

I had contacted them a few times it remained they stated over time it would not hurt as much but after a year I just gave up .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 9
7774x
Established Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@GMCTexas wrote:

institution.

I had contacted them a few times it remained they stated over time it would not hurt as much but after a year I just gave up .

Dump them ..many   other good CCs out there

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.