cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex denial Blacklisted because of parents relationship with bank?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex denial Blacklisted because of parents relationship with bank?

Hello all,

I applied for the Blue Cash Everyday the boring would fit my spend card.

Anyway, they denied me and an inquiry never showed up, so I thought maybe they were trying to pull Experian which I had locked with Experian's credit lock.

Well, I received the letter today saying they cannot approve my application at this time because American Express canceled my previous account(s). 

This reasoning came as a shock to me since I haven't ever had an Amex issued by Centurion bank. I have my Elan CC that runs on the Amex network but is backed by Elan. and I have the prepaid Bluebird checking account (I keep some money in there for online shopping).

The only thing I can think of is that my parents may have had an Amex and burned them? I use my parents address so if they blacklist customers based on address' that makes sense. Otherwise, they could have blacklisted me because of my name? Same name as my father. Still, I have a different SSN and dad has been dead for going on 8 years. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Amex denial Blacklisted because of parents relationship with bank?

Call them up and do a recon. If necessry, pull your credit reports and check for errors

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 12
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

Anyway, they denied me and an inquiry never showed up, so I thought maybe they were trying to pull Experian which I had locked with Experian's credit lock.

Well, I received the letter today saying they cannot approve my application at this time because American Express canceled my previous account(s). 

This reasoning came as a shock to me since I haven't ever had an Amex issued by Centurion bank. I have my Elan CC that runs on the Amex network but is backed by Elan. and I have the prepaid Bluebird checking account (I keep some money in there for online shopping).

The only thing I can think of is that my parents may have had an Amex and burned them? I use my parents address so if they blacklist customers based on address' that makes sense. Otherwise, they could have blacklisted me because of my name? Same name as my father. Still, I have a different SSN and dad has been dead for going on 8 years. 

My DP is a Jr (his father is Sr), same full name otherwise (first, middle, last). When I finally got him to take credit seriously we found that he had some of his father's items on his report and his father had some of DP's items on his. Took us awhile to clear it up but we were finally successful. Part of the problem was that DP had an account that still reported his parents' address to the CRAs. Something along these lines may be what's going on here with your scenario.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I find it odd because every other creditor has not had a problem approving or pulling my credit

My reports do not have jr. on them rather just First Middle Initial Last. Excluding Equifax which is just First and Last.

I check my reports monthly all accounts are mine. It would be hard for my dead father to get an account put on my credit.

I even combed through my annual report last month all is good and happy.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I find it odd because every other creditor has not had a problem approving or pulling my credit

My reports do not have jr. on them rather just First Middle Initial Last. Excluding Equifax which is just First and Last.

I check my reports monthly all accounts are mine. It would be hard for my dead father to get an account put on my credit.

I even combed through my annual report last month all is good and happy.

You need to call them to find out.  Most likely it's an error due to a mix up with your father.  However, it's pointless to ever apply for an Amex card with Experian locked. They will not pull a different bureau under any circumstance so you're wasting your time to apply with it locked.

Message 5 of 12
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I agree with calling them and sorting it out.

I had Experian Locked since I forgot it was locked when I app’d for a BCE. They pulled transunion. So they will pull another report. It was declined, so I called them and they pulled Experian after I unlocked it. Still denied.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's a DP?
Message 7 of 12
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

I am on their blacklist but they’ve extended my wife and 2 daughters with generous CLs now for their cards so NO on the BL via address theory. Must be the mix up on the similar names. You need to call them and clarify that.

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My dad and I also share the same name and at one point the same physical address. We’ve both had items get crossed on each other’s reports in the past. Everything is corrected now. Clerical issues abound.

Most recently, NFCU required identity verification of ID and Utility bill for membership to authenticate him for membership. They thought we were the same person.

It’s such a hassle but I concur with the above suggestions to get it resolved.
Message 9 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Em71, DP stands for data point Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.