Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex denial story - weird reason

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex denial story - weird reason

Hello all! I figured I'd share a story regarding an Amex denial that I had before I got my Amex delta and Amex everyday card. Oddly enough a month prior to those I applied for an Amex green card with a 675 fico and my denial reasons were based on inquiries and "average account credit limit is too low" Huh? I have never had that as a denial reason before! I guess keeping around those old low limit cards actually did hurt something! Even weirder considering they gave me $3k revolving limits a month later with no inquiries or additional accounts aging past a year in that time period. Strange because I heard green cards are easier to get than the everyday but correct me if I'm wrong! 

this happened a few months ago but figured I'd share it now in quarantine! 

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex denial story - weird reason

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all! I figured I'd share a story regarding an Amex denial that I had before I got my Amex delta and Amex everyday card. Oddly enough a month prior to those I applied for an Amex green card with a 675 fico and my denial reasons were based on inquiries and "average account credit limit is too low" Huh? I have never had that as a denial reason before! I guess keeping around those old low limit cards actually did hurt something! Even weirder considering they gave me $3k revolving limits a month later with no inquiries or additional accounts aging past a year in that time period. Strange because I heard green cards are easier to get than the everyday but correct me if I'm wrong! 

this happened a few months ago but figured I'd share it now in quarantine! 

Was that reason alone or among other reasons? 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That and inquiries were the only two reasons. At that point I had all collections removed and a couple late pays a few years ago. I looked and nothing had really changed month to month.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odd verabage for sure, considering the spend caps they've put on the Charge Cards of a few people here. I don't know what the internal limit for the green even is, but based on your individual CL's I understand their reasons.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I was definitely surprised. I know that the delta gold card is easier to get because of co-brandingbut I was surprised they gave me 2 lines including a core card like the everyday regardless of lower limits but declined a charge card. I actually thought the lower limits might help with getting a charge card since We have 6 figure income and low limits and a "decent" score of 675. I mean even if I maxed out every card I could reasonably pay it off in a couple months. I mostly just wanted the charge card to pay it all off since I get paid monthly at the end of the month. Was disappointed but am enjoying my other cards more especially without an af.figured I was a prime charge card target which is why I appd for that firstSmiley Happy it all works out in the end though! 

Message 5 of 6
dustind
New Contributor

Same happened to me in December, pre approved for BCE.

Our evaluation of the accounts on your credit report based on the number, type, length of time opened, and credit risk level. (Experian) [F8 was 699 with a 4.5 yr old CO,  Thick/aged because of paid off student loans]

The amount of credit available on your bank credit card account with the least credit available is too low (Experian) [$300 Cap 1]

The average credit limit on all your credit card accounts is too low (Experian) [$450 at the time]

Length of time accounts have been established. (Experian) [The two open credit cards were 3 months old]

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.